Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > where can I download the standard C library source code?

where can I download the standard C library source code?

ruoqingmm

Hi,
I want to download the source code for C library source code. Any body
can help to give me a fast link?

Thanks

Vladimir Oka

ruoqingmm wrote:

> I want to download the source code for C library source code. Any body
> can help to give me a fast link?

Try Googling for "glibc". The first link you get is:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/

Keith Thompson

"ruoqingmm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I want to download the source code for C library source code. Any body
> can help to give me a fast link?

Why do you want this? I ask because there are a number of different
implementations of the C standard library, and most of them will not
work on systems other than the ones for which they were designed.

ruoqingmm

Just want to study the source code.

Keith Thompson

"ruoqingmm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Just want to study the source code.

Just want to study what source code?

Read <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>.

Gregory Pietsch

ruoqingmm wrote:
> Just want to study the source code.

P. J. Plauger wrote a book on it, (but don't use his code, or else the
Plauger Copyright Police will clamp down on you) and several
implementations exist out there in cyberspace with varying degrees of
copyright.

Gregory Pietsch

P.J. Plauger

"Gregory Pietsch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> ruoqingmm wrote:
>> Just want to study the source code.

> P. J. Plauger wrote a book on it, (but don't use his code, or else the
> Plauger Copyright Police will clamp down on you) and several
> implementations exist out there in cyberspace with varying degrees of
> copyright.

The book grants permission to use the software in it for personal use,
even to make executables that are freely distributable. You just can't
distribute the source code without permission from me. (That's rather
more than you get from the "fair use" provisions of copyright law.)

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

David Wade

"Gregory Pietsch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> ruoqingmm wrote:
> > Just want to study the source code.

> P. J. Plauger wrote a book on it, (but don't use his code, or else the
> Plauger Copyright Police will clamp down on you) and several
> implementations exist out there in cyberspace with varying degrees of
> copyright.

But that does not make it a bad book In fact if you want to udnerstand the
"C" library its a real must. On the other hand if you just want to.look at
source code then the souce to the GCC (www.gnu.org) and Watcom C libraries

http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/...ce_Code_Access

are available for free download. There is also a small C library in PDOS
which you will find on sourceforge.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p.../pdos/pdpclib/

> Gregory Pietsch

Keith Thompson

"David Wade" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Gregory Pietsch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> ruoqingmm wrote:
>> > Just want to study the source code.

>> P. J. Plauger wrote a book on it, (but don't use his code, or else the
>> Plauger Copyright Police will clamp down on you) and several
>> implementations exist out there in cyberspace with varying degrees of
>> copyright.
>>

> But that does not make it a bad book In fact if you want to udnerstand the
> "C" library its a real must. On the other hand if you just want to.look at
> source code then the souce to the GCC (www.gnu.org) and Watcom C libraries
>
> http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/...ce_Code_Access
>
> are available for free download. There is also a small C library in PDOS
> which you will find on sourceforge.
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p.../pdos/pdpclib/

There is a GNU C library, but it's a separate component (glibc), not
part of gcc.

Rod Pemberton

"ruoqingmm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
> I want to download the source code for C library source code. Any body
> can help to give me a fast link?

In addition to the libraries (glibc, pdpclib) others have listed, you could
look at these:

Mingw libraries (Public Domain)
http://www.mingw.org/

Redhat Newlib (Open Source)