Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > tangle

Reply
Thread Tools

tangle

 
 
aarklon@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2006
Hi folks,

in the article
http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html

it is written as

However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
Boolean control variables, instead).

now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
explanations/examples???

Thanks in advance for any help offered

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Default User
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> in the article
> http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html
>
> it is written as
>
> However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
> necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
> programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
> without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
> Boolean control variables, instead).
>
> now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
> explanations/examples???


From http://m-w.com (see sense 4):

Main Entry: 1Byz·an·tine
Pronunciation: 'bi-z&n-"tEn, 'bI-, -"tIn; b&-'zan-", bI-'
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the ancient city of Byzantium
2 : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a style of
architecture developed in the Byzantine Empire especially in the 5th
and 6th centuries featuring the dome carried on pendentives over a
square and incrustation with marble veneering and with colored mosaics
on grounds of gold
3 : of or relating to the churches using a traditional Greek rite and
subject to Eastern canon law
4 often not capitalized a : of, relating to, or characterized by a
devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation <a Byzantine
power struggle> b : intricately involved : LABYRINTHINE <rules of
Byzantine complexity>



Brian
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kenneth Brody
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2006
Default User wrote:
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > in the article
> > http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html
> >
> > it is written as
> >
> > However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
> > necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
> > programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
> > without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
> > Boolean control variables, instead).
> >
> > now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
> > explanations/examples???

>
> From http://m-w.com (see sense 4):
>
> Main Entry: 1Byz·an·tine

[...]
> 4 often not capitalized a : of, relating to, or characterized by a
> devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation <a Byzantine
> power struggle> b : intricately involved : LABYRINTHINE <rules of
> Byzantine complexity>


To get a visual on this, a quick Google image search turns up:

http://www.artthouglorious.com/image...s-triangle.jpg


--
+-------------------------+--------------------+-----------------------------+
| Kenneth J. Brody | www.hvcomputer.com | |
| kenbrody/at\spamcop.net | www.fptech.com | #include <std_disclaimer.h> |
+-------------------------+--------------------+-----------------------------+
Don't e-mail me at: <(E-Mail Removed)>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tangle of Extension Rebuilds? Paul VanHouten Python 1 05-03-2004 08:09 PM



Advertisments