Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Cross posting Etiquette

Cross posting Etiquette

Next

I am guessing that cross posting is posting the same question in different
newsgroups?

I read a couple of postings that might indicate that cross posting is "rude"

Mike

It can be.

I think most of the people read both the MCAD and MCSD
boards. Not sur eabout the others so it might not be
as "rude".

People that incessantly ask questions that are plainly
answered on the MS certification pages are in my opinion
more "rude" than cross posters.

Eric

Next wrote:

> I am guessing that cross posting is posting the same question in
> different newsgroups?
>
> I read a couple of postings that might indicate that cross posting is
> "rude"

Most of us *hate* seeing the same question in different groups. How
many times do you expect me to answer the same question?

Eric

>How
>many times do you expect me to answer the same question?

Exactly. There is only so many times you can call cobol an ass****er.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Mike

Nice

Who says you have to answer the same question again? If you reply in one
group, it will show in both groups.

<Eric> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Next wrote:
>
> > I am guessing that cross posting is posting the same question in
> > different newsgroups?
> >
> > I read a couple of postings that might indicate that cross posting is
> > "rude"

> Most of us *hate* seeing the same question in different groups. How
> many times do you expect me to answer the same question?
>
> Eric

Cindy Winegarden

In news: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
Next <aeverettNO^(E-Mail Removed)*jg^_junk..com> wrote:
> I am guessing that cross posting is posting the same question in
> different newsgroups?
>
> I read a couple of postings that might indicate that cross posting is
> "rude"

Hi AEverett,

There's "cross-posting" and "multi-posting."

Cross-posting is when you create one message and put more than one newsgroup
in the Newsgroups: box. To do this in OE you can use the hidden "button"
under the word Newsgroups in the upper left of the message window. The
default behavior for cross-posting is for all the messages to show up
everywhere. Cross-posting to 2 or 3 relevant groups is not rude, but
cross-posting to everything under the sun is considered rude.

Multi-posting is posting the exact same message individual times to more
than one newsgroup. Someone may read in one newsgroup and spend time
preparing an answer without knowing that the question has been adequately
answered in another group. I think this is definitely rude, but often
newbies don't know how to cross-post, so they're forgiven.

(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com

>Cross-posting to 2 or 3 relevant groups is not rude, but
>cross-posting to everything under the sun is considered rude.

Absolutely, with the emphasis on 'relevant'.

>Multi-posting is posting the exact same message individual times to more
>than one newsgroup. Someone may read in one newsgroup and spend time
>preparing an answer without knowing that the question has been adequately
>answered in another group. I think this is definitely rude, but often
>newbies don't know how to cross-post, so they're forgiven.

Nah, those newbies should be tortured, for a while a least!

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Eric

<WKidd> wrote:

> Who says you have to answer the same question again? If you reply in
> one group, it will show in both groups.

I hadn't noticed... but it's still a distraction...

Eric

Posting etiquette question K.J. 44 Cisco 4 10-24-2006 04:14 AM
CROSS-POSTING, OR MULTI-POSTING, OR NEITHER? Colin D Digital Photography 56 03-08-2006 08:31 PM
OT - Parking etiquette. (Not even close to being on topic) JDS HTML 12 01-19-2005 02:30 PM
OT proper etiquette Consultant MCSE 0 08-27-2003 07:18 PM
Re: Newsgroup etiquette Michael Computer Support 0 07-12-2003 08:34 PM

Advertisments