Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Http unix

Http unix

djake@excite.it

How can i write an http client under unix?

Default User

> How can i write an http client under unix?

Carefully.

Brian

Ian Collins

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How can i write an http client under unix?

Well that depends on your skills and the help you get on a more
appropriate group.

--
Ian Collins.

Flash Gordon

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How can i write an http client under unix?

By using libraries that are not part of standard C and therefore are not
on topic here. comp.unix.programmer is a better place for Unix related
questions, or one of the networking groups, but I would suggest that you
probably need to do a bit of work yourself rather than asking such an
all encompassing question.

Richard Heathfield

(E-Mail Removed) said:

> How can i write an http client under unix?

The HTTP/1.1 protocol is available here:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html

With the trivial exception of the networking code, a simple client can be
written entirely in ISO C. And if you can connect your stdin and stdout to
the network (which, IIRC, is possible via inetd), you can do the whole
thing in ISO C. Having said that, you're so likely to run up against
system-specific problems (such as image display and, of course, the
networking if you're not using a stdin/stdout trick) that you'd be better
off asking this question in a Unix newsgroup such as comp.unix.programmer.
Assuming they don't just say "we already have plenty of browsers, we really
don't need another one", they may turn out to be quite helpful.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Micah Cowan

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> How can i write an http client under unix?

This is not at all topical for this NG (followups set).

However, you might look into libwww, which was written by the W3C.

http://www.w3.org/Library/

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/

Robert Latest

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:40:31 +0100,
Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in Msg. <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>

> By using libraries that are not part of standard C and therefore are not
> on topic here.

Not true; it can all be done with stdin/stdout.

robert

Flash Gordon

Robert Latest wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:40:31 +0100,
> Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in Msg. <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>
>
>> By using libraries that are not part of standard C and therefore are not
>> on topic here.

> Not true; it can all be done with stdin/stdout.

I didn't say it could not be done using stdin/stdout, I just said it
could be done using libraries that are not part of the standard C.
However not all unix like systems come with SW that would allow you to
connect stdin/stdout of one program to a TCP/IP port on another system
(remember, the OP wanted a client rather than server, to inetd is not
appropriate).

Robert Latest

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:22:23 +0100,
Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in Msg. <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>

> (remember, the OP wanted a client rather than server, to inetd is not
> appropriate).

Oops, my bad. Of course inetd was what I was thinking of.

robert