Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > life cycle

life cycle

bharathi.vempati@gmail.com

hi

Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
termination.

please make it fast

k bye
-ramya

Keith Thompson

> Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
> termination.

Edit, compile, link, run.

If that's not enough information, you'll have to ask a clearer question.

> please make it fast

If English isn't your first language, you might not be aware that that
sounds a bit arrogant, as if you were giving orders to underlings.
You're asking us for help, which we give freely and voluntarily. The
best way to get help is to ask clear (and interesting) questions, and
to respond quickly to requests for clarification. Telling us that
your question is urgent will not get you a response any more quickly;
in fact, some people will be less inclined to help you at all.

If your question really is urgent, you should explain why -- but don't
expect a lot of sympathy. Your urgency does not create a sense of
obligation for anyone else.

And just in case you haven't read it already, I urge you to read
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> before posting a followup.

=?utf-8?B?5p6X5p2w5p2w?=

(E-Mail Removed) write:

>Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
>termination.

I think you should read the textbook.

>please make it fast

....and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

pete

Keith Thompson wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > Can any one explain me the life cycle
> > of C from source code to process
> > termination.

> Edit, compile, link, run.

I think that's overly complicated.

Edit, translate, run.

--
pete

Eric Sosman

pete wrote:

> Keith Thompson wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>>
>>>Can any one explain me the life cycle
>>>of C from source code to process
>>>termination.

>>Edit, compile, link, run.

> I think that's overly complicated.
>
> Edit, translate, run.

Edit, translate, fix syntax errors, translate, fix more
compile errors, translate, run, curse, study, fix logic
errors, translate, run, curse, ask for help on comp.lang.c
but show only the irrelevant lines, be cursed, make random
change, translate, run, curse, steal unrelated code from rogue.c,
translate, fix cut-n-paste error, translate, run, curse, have
Aha! moment, edit, translate, fix silly typo, translate, run,
HUZZAH! IT'S FINALLY WORKING! My low-level disk formatter is
even now reformatting (oops!) the disk containing its own source
code ...

--
Eric Sosman
(E-Mail Removed)lid

CBFalconer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to
> process termination.
>
> please make it fast

Yassuh. Edit, compile, run.

CBFalconer

??? wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) write:
>
>> Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to
>> process termination.

> I think you should read the textbook.
>
>> please make it fast

> ...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
lose weight, or for religious reasons.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>??? wrote:

>> ...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

>The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
>lose weight, or for religious reasons.

<OT>
Summarizing from OED:

There are four major noun forms of 'fast' (e.g., absetinence from
food), and two major verb forms, but none of those are relevant to this
discussion because in "learn it fast", fast cannot grammatically be a
noun or verb.

In the context, fast could be an adjective or adverb.

fast, a.:

I. firmly fixed in place; not easily turned aside; fixed on the shore
(of a vessel); fixed in sleep; permanent colour; resistant to stain-
removing or toxic agent (biology); constipated; close shut, bolted, locked
(door, window); gripping, tenacious (fast hold); some specialized uses

II. rapid.
quick, swift motion; indicating a time more advanced than true time
(clock); needing only brief exposure (film); some physics uses such
as fast breeder reactor; adapted to or productive of quick movement
(e.g., billiard cushions, hard dry cricket grounds); living too
extravegantly, devoted to pleasure

III. various combinations like fastback, fast buck, fast lane

fast as an adverb has very similar senses to the adjective form.
Sense specifically listed include "Quickly, rapidly, swiftly";
"in quick succession; one close upon another"; "readily, with alacrity".
As the sentance being nitted was describing a second action,
the "quick succession" sense is not ruled out, and the "with alacrity"
meaning applies as well, in addition to the "quickly, rapidly, swiftly"
meanings.

If the phrase had been "make it fast" then adjective or adverb could
both have been possibilities, but for "learn it fast", adverb is
the only real choice: "make" is a verb of intentional creation
of state and an adjective can describe a state (e.g., "make it round"),
but for "learn" an auxillary denoting mode (that is, an adverb) makes
more sense -- and... OED clearly shows "quickly" as one of the
adverbal meanings.

I would certainly agree that "quickly" would likely be a better
word than "fast" for the -probable- meaning, but "quickly" is within
the adverbal meaning, and for those other two senses I noted above, "fast"
is the appropriate word.

In summary, your nit is wrong in implying that "fast" was definitely
being used incorrectly.
</OT>

Nick Keighley

Keith Thompson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:

> > Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
> > termination.

> Edit, compile, link, run.

but he already has the (presumably correct) source code so he can skip
the
edit phase

<snip>

--
Nick Keighley

Alexander J. Almaleh

It's not full enough, you should've put more curses D

Life cycle of ASP .NET Application =?Utf-8?B?amlt?= ASP .Net 6 01-19-2005 05:08 PM
ASP.Net Life Cycle prem ASP .Net 2 11-02-2004 02:08 PM
Re: ASP Life Cycle Problem S. Justin Gengo ASP .Net 0 12-08-2003 02:22 PM
ASP Life Cycle Problem john doe Jr ASP .Net 1 12-05-2003 07:03 PM

Advertisments