Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Strcpy

Strcpy

Michael Mair

Rod Pemberton schrieb:
> "Michael Mair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Rod Pemberton schrieb:
>>
>>>"Rod Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:dvpsvo$4f75$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip: List of clc regulars whic Rod deems overly harsh in their
dealings with others while not contributing anything C related>

>>Funny, you seem to miss their C posts that I see.

> I've seen two from CBFalconer today, after I posted this. The first in four
> months.

You are kidding or have a strange news server.
There was at least one more within the last couple of days.
Look near my posts.
His posts certainly are not insightful articles bringing forth
delight in experienced and unexperienced readers alike but if
we held everyone to this standard, then Chris Torek would be
rather lonesome round here but they provided me with useful
information in the past and still do.

>>>I forgot to add a few people to that list who just try to kill
>>>conversation.

<snip: expansion of said list with one repetition>
>>>Some of these guys are just ridiculous. I think Falconer is going for
>>>the
>>>world record in calling people troll's. He's used "PLONK" two hundred
>>>and
>>>ninety-three times and still hasn't contributed anything topical or
>>>non-topical.

>>Apart from Chuck's "open plonk" policy and the number of plonks
>>you counted (which I did not),

> This isn't the only group he spams. That's his Google cached total.

If you say so.

>>this is plainly wrong.
>>
>>I suggest that you review the average "quality" of _your_
>>contributions, as it suffers by your pointless diatribes.

> Diatribes, perhaps. Pointless, no. They are an attempt to bring an
> awareness of the fact that a small group is castigating hundreds, and
> perhaps thousands of others over time, in this newsgroup. Castigation which
> is uncalled for and unnecessary.

I am not sure about your choice of words; it sounds rather
preachy and exaggerated.
As I have seen enough disorganised newsgroups, mailing lists
and other go down, I prefer clear rules and adherence to them
within _sensible_ bounds. Your approach sounds more as if you
expect the best outcome from a thorough lack of rules and
organisation.

Whether the people you denounced as the evil castigators work
within said sensible bounds is open to debate; interestingly,
there are several more regular contributors who have similar
views as they have.

> If you were subscribed to any other
> newsgroup, you'd know this to be true.

Hmmm, I count more than one newsgroup that I write to regularly
and several more that I read regularly.

> If I must be the sacrificial pawn to
> bring about this awareness, then so be it.

You seem to enjoy broadcasting your martyrdom too much for my
taste.

> It's truly unfortunate that you choose to defend the strong at
> the expense of the weak. I doubt anyone would call you noble.

Nice judgement there.

-Michael

Keith Thompson

Michael Mair <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Rod Pemberton schrieb:

[the usual]

Please don't feed the troll. Thank you.

Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:41:09 -0500, in comp.lang.c , CBFalconer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Kenneth Brody wrote:
>> Ben Pfaff wrote:

>>> Don't forget to fill out Form #CLC-493 "Application To
>>> Unsubscribe From comp.lang.c" on your way out.

>> ... in triplicate. Keep the white form, send the yellow form to
>> the comp.lang.c owner, and the blue form gets submitted with your
>> copy of Form #CLC++001 "Application To Subscribe To comp.lang.c++".
>> (The green copy is no longer needed.)

>Use a ball point pen and press heavily. You are making 4 copies.

Thats what he said. Remember C is a 0-based language.
Mark McIntyre
--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

On 22 Mar 2006 08:48:12 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Jake Thompson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ulitmately what I want to do is build an array of values so that I can
>take each occurence of count(my array incrementor) to use it to build a
>what I call a link list in another function

okay, you want an array of the struct.:

struct foo {int x; char name[12];};

struct foo[12]; // an array of 12 structs

for(int i = 0;i<12;i++)
{
foo[n].x = 12;
strcpy(foo[n].name, "Jake");
}

Mark McIntyre
--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

On 22 Mar 2006 11:14:52 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Jake Thompson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well I figured it out - I had my subscript in the wrong location
>
>I had cm8link.type[count] when I should of had cm8link[count].type

make sure you also correct your memory allocation error - as declared,
cm8link.type doesn't point to any valid memory, so you can't strcpy
anything into it.
Mark McIntyre
--Brian Kernighan

CBFalconer

Michael Mair wrote:
> Rod Pemberton schrieb:

.... snip ...

>> Brian "Default User"
>> CBFalconer
>> Richard Bos
>> etc...

.... snip ...
>> I forgot to add a few people to that list who just try to kill
>> conversation. You can see from their follow up posts I speak
>> the truth:
>>
>> Al "Em" Balmer
>> Keith "Kill It" Thompson
>> Mark "The Ass" McIntyre
>> CB "PLONK" Falconer
>>
>> Some of these guys are just ridiculous. I think Falconer is
>> going for the world record in calling people troll's. He's
>> used "PLONK" two hundred and ninety-three times and still
>> hasn't contributed anything topical or non-topical.

> Apart from Chuck's "open plonk" policy and the number of plonks
> you counted (which I did not), this is plainly wrong.
>
> I suggest that you review the average "quality" of _your_
> contributions, as it suffers by your pointless diatribes.

Whee - I've made the record books. Double entry yet. However
there seems to be something imperfect about his sampling
technique. Looking in my current PLONK file for c.l.c I find 8
individual entries, and 5 threads. RP will be glad to know he is
the eldest, apart from Skybuck, who may have gone to troll heaven
and no longer require dealing with.

If only people would refrain from amusing trolls, things would
clean up much more quickly.