Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Idiotic question of an Idiot - dint like dont reply.

Idiotic question of an Idiot - dint like dont reply.

novice

I dint find a proper group to post this,
so i'm asking this question. If you think
this question is irrelevent then dont answer,
but i expect good replies from experts.

I wondor, how these guys who answer
to complicated questions have mastered C.
I'm a beginner in C, and wondor how to master C.
Should i study theory, or start writing programs?
If i should start writing programs, What programs should i start with?
Where should i find the proper materials.

Vladimir S. Oka

novice wrote:
> I dint find a proper group to post this,
> so i'm asking this question. If you think
> this question is irrelevent then dont answer,
> but i expect good replies from experts.
>
> I wondor, how these guys who answer
> to complicated questions have mastered C.
> I'm a beginner in C, and wondor how to master C.
> Should i study theory, or start writing programs?
> If i should start writing programs, What programs should i start with?
> Where should i find the proper materials.

A good place to start is "The C Programming Language - Second Edition"
by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie. Read the book, and do all
the exercises. Practice on real world problems. Follow c.l.c. Others
are likely to add to this list.

--
BR, Vladimir

Richard Heathfield

Vladimir S. Oka said:

> novice wrote:
>> I dint find a proper group to post this,
>> so i'm asking this question. If you think
>> this question is irrelevent then dont answer,
>> but i expect good replies from experts.
>>
>> I wondor, how these guys who answer
>> to complicated questions have mastered C.
>> I'm a beginner in C, and wondor how to master C.
>> Should i study theory, or start writing programs?
>> If i should start writing programs, What programs should i start with?
>> Where should i find the proper materials.

> A good place to start is "The C Programming Language - Second Edition"

Another good place to start would be any place that teaches good manners. If
he thinks my answer is irrelevant he need not answer, but I expect good
questions from novices.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

pemo

novice wrote:
> I dint find a proper group to post this,
> so i'm asking this question. If you think
> this question is irrelevent then dont answer,
> but i expect good replies from experts.
>
> I wondor, how these guys who answer
> to complicated questions have mastered C.
> I'm a beginner in C, and wondor how to master C.
> Should i study theory, or start writing programs?
> If i should start writing programs, What programs should i start with?
> Where should i find the proper materials.

I always think that a good way to start is to think of small small /tools/
that you could write and use later, for example, perhaps write a program
that can replace tab characters in a .c file source file with a user
configurable number of space characters - and/or the reverse of course.

--
==============
Not a pedant

Vladimir S. Oka

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Vladimir S. Oka said:
>

> > novice wrote:
> >> I dint find a proper group to post this,
> >> so i'm asking this question. If you think
> >> this question is irrelevent then dont answer,
> >> but i expect good replies from experts.
> >>
> >> I wondor, how these guys who answer
> >> to complicated questions have mastered C.
> >> I'm a beginner in C, and wondor how to master C.
> >> Should i study theory, or start writing programs?
> >> If i should start writing programs, What programs should i start with?
> >> Where should i find the proper materials.

> > A good place to start is "The C Programming Language - Second Edition"

> Another good place to start would be any place that teaches good manners. If
> he thinks my answer is irrelevant he need not answer, but I expect good
> questions from novices.

Agreed.

I'm always in two minds about pointing manners to such posters, as they
tend to fight back.

<OT on><PC off>
I blame it on this new "respect" culture. Suddenly, one does not earn
respect through one's actions, but is rather born with it, together
with a healthy dose of /disrespect/ towards any other not of the same
ilk.
</PC></OT>

A. Sinan Unur

"novice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1142421410.477165.213000
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> Subject: Idiotic question of an Idiot - dint like dont reply.

A first step would be not to call yourself an idiot unless you genuinely
believe that ... in which case, you have no business programming.

> I wondor, how these guys who answer
> to complicated questions have mastered C.
> I'm a beginner in C, and wondor how to master C.
> Should i study theory, or start writing programs?
> If i should start writing programs, What programs should i start with?
> Where should i find the proper materials.

Start with smallest possible program you can possibly write -- that is
why we have "Hello World". That will help you get started.

Read the appropriate FAQ lists. Lurk here, and attempt to work on
questions others post. Compare your solutions with the ones posted by
regulars. Learn from your mistakes.

Don't expect to be able to write flawless programs overnight. Value the
public critique of the code you post.

That'll be a good start.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

Rod Pemberton

"novice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I dint[sic] find a proper group to post this,
> so i'm[sic] asking this question. If you think
> this question is irrelevent[sic] then dont[sic] answer,
> but i[sic] expect good replies from experts.

Not everyone here is an expert. People here are at many different skill
levels. You don't have the right to expect anything from anyone, although
most will try to accomodate your request.

> I wondor[sic], how these guys who answer
> to complicated questions have mastered C.

1) be passionate for the things you do
2) learn how to excel at what you're passionate about
3) don't waste time, i.e., don't do the things you don't care about, unless
needed to fulfill 2)
4) practice makes (near) perfect

> I'm a beginner in C, and wondor[sic] how to master C.
> Should i[sic] study theory, or start writing programs?
> If i[sic] should start writing programs, What programs should i[sic] start

with?
> Where should i[sic] find the proper materials.

(At least capitalize your "I" 's. It gives importance to you. You are
somebody.)

Start by programming something related what you need, want, or enjoy:
1) utilities
2) games
3) checkbook
4) calculator
5) sports
6) cars

Pick an OS and a compiler. Read the manuals. Write something. Learn how
to enable warnings and error messages when you compile. Correct the
mistakes. Repeat. Practice does make near perfect. I can't solve the
physics problems today, that I solved in HS due to lack of practice.

Learn how you solve problems. Do you start with a simple outline and then
prefer to fill in progressively or do you prefer to start with all the stuff
you want and work back? Download other people's code and see if you can
understand what they are doing.

> I wondor[sic], how these guys who answer
> to complicated questions have mastered C.

I started by:
1) getting straight A's
2) learning programming on my own and through school
3) taking AP courses
4) taking standardized tests
5) doing all homework
6) solving other in the book non-homework problems
7) correcting teachers when they made mistakes or when they asked where they
had made their mistake
after taking a standardized test, finding an error in said standardized
test (I scored so high they thought I had cheated), that had been given for
15 years and reviewed by PHD's and numerous college students (transcription
error on their part)
9) knowing the nature of people (1/3 are agreeable, 1/3 are assholes, 1/3
are alcoholics)
10) working late to solve a two month problem from incompetent asshole
manager who said it was needed in two weeks. So I did it in one day, only
to find said manager asking for it after two days, as I expected.
11) not working on two hour problem by same incompetent asshole manager who
said it was needed in four weeks until the day it was needed.

Rod Pemberton

kishore_mca330@yahoo.com

to ba a c master its better to read theory and practice in a computer
but the good book for a beginner is ansi c by any author but it must
not my dennis ritche its very hard to understand even though he is an
expert

Vladimir S. Oka

> to ba a c master its better to read theory and practice in a computer
> but the good book for a beginner is ansi c by any author but it must
> not my dennis ritche its very hard to understand even though he is an
> expert

To be a master in anything, it's important to be prepared to make an
effort. For example:

- make an effort to properly capitalise
- make an effort to use punctuation
- make an effort to post properly, quoting context

Before posting here again, read and heed:

- <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
- <http://www.clc-wiki.net/wiki/Introduction_to_comp.lang.c>

BTW, there's nothing wrong with K&R2, provided one really wants to make
an effort learning C.

--
BR, Vladimir

Richard Heathfield

(E-Mail Removed) said:

> to ba a c master its better to

How long have you been a C master?

I don't wish to discourage you in your quest to become one, but until you
are one, it might be better not to explain how to become one, in case you
turn out to be wrong.