Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Optimizing C

Optimizing C

Keith Thompson

"Richard G. Riley" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[snip]
> Cant assume that : CHAR_BIT will be 8 or so and sizeof(int) will be 4,
> but KT pointed out that maximum unsigned int might still be 32767
> due to padding bits.

Not quite. The standard guarantees that UINT_MAX is at least 65535.

Richard G. Riley

On 2006-03-14, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Richard G. Riley" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> [snip]
>> Cant assume that : CHAR_BIT will be 8 or so and sizeof(int) will be 4,
>> but KT pointed out that maximum unsigned int might still be 32767
>> due to padding bits.

> Not quite. The standard guarantees that UINT_MAX is at least 65535.

whoops, sorry : brain off there.

Richard Heathfield

Richard G. Riley said:

> On 2006-03-14, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Richard G. Riley" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> [snip]
>>> Cant assume that : CHAR_BIT will be 8 or so and sizeof(int) will be 4,
>>> but KT pointed out that maximum unsigned int might still be 32767
>>> due to padding bits.

>> Not quite. The standard guarantees that UINT_MAX is at least 65535.
>>

> whoops, sorry : brain off there.

It seems you have discovered the ability to apologise for your mistakes. I
suggest you develop that skill further.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=

"Richard G. Riley" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> But any techniques for doing the standard bit fiddles without
> occurring extra unnecessary cpu bandwidth would be nice. By standard
> bit fiddles I mean : shift & rotate, anding, oring, shift til bit
> found etc. The operations will be occurring on sequences of
> words and the smallest word will be the standard CPU word size (32
> bits). By sequences of words : I might, for example, be locating
> the first non zero bit from the left in sequence of 64 words.

Slightly off-topic, POSIX has ffs(), which returns the index of the
first non-zero bit in an int. Compare each int with zero, in
sequence, and sic ffs() at the first non-zero one. Presumably, your
implementation will translate the call to ffs() into the most
efficient instruction sequence for your platform; on some systems, it
maps to a single CPU instruction.

As for regular "shift & rotate, anding, oring", if your implementation
does not translate the equivalent C operators into efficient machine
code, you'd better find another one that does.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - (E-Mail Removed)

Michael Mair

Richard G. Riley schrieb:
> On 2006-03-14, Michael Mair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Richard G. Riley schrieb:

>>>Wow. That would break a lot of code. Assumimg some situation like
>>>that, is their a constant "MAX BITS FOR ULONG" or "MAX WORD SIZE IN BITS"? e.g
>>>to get a platform independant assurance of the number of bits one can
>>>use in a single HW word? Having said that, in my sample code in the
>>>initial reply to Eric, I would only need to recalculate my "start
>>>mask" from 0x80000000 to "whatever" when I calculate "usable bits per
>>>HW word" in program init. Since the overhead of doing that calc is
>>>almost less than zero compared to cother computation, I could do that.

>>If you intend "fast and portable", then consider doing the
>>following:

> That is the best. My initial requirements are slightly smaller : fast
> on x86 as I originally specified and "works elsewhere when it might be
> needed the day hell freezes over" .-; Having said that, I have taken
> Thomsons comments to heart about word padding for some reason : I see
> no real overhead (when keeping everything in C) to ensure platform
> compatability in the C level. It will be, I admit, the first code I
> ever wrote where a machine word can potentially hold less values than
> its size indicates : unless of course I do come across an unforseen
> performance hit in which case bye bye good practice.
>
>>Build a "guaranteedly portable" version of your intended to be fast
>>stuff.
>>Then start documenting your assumptions for your "fast header": Add a
>>source file which is not linked with the rest of the code but fails
>>compilation (during preprocessing or actual compiling) if one of
>>these assumptions is violated.
>>Say you have determined that sizeof(int)*CHAR_BIT is 32 Bits, then
>>0xFFFFFFFF - INT_MAX should be 0. In other words, neither
>> char inttestl[0x7FFFFFFF - (long)INT_MAX + 1L];

> Cant assume that : CHAR_BIT will be 8 or so and sizeof(int) will be 4,
> but KT pointed out that maximum unsigned int might still be 32767
> due to padding bits..I asked for an easy way to determine "usable bit
> size" but got no reply so I guess its just some code to do at
> init. Not too far up on the priority list I must admit though.

Apart from the one excess "unsigned": My point here is that
you well may assume no padding, 2s complement and everything
that makes life easy as long as you can guarantee that your
code will not compile if these assumptions are invalid.
Writing code to cater for every possible situation the standard
permits may be a noble goal to aim at but will definitely not
_help_ you with the "fast" part (*).
Thus the portable version to have in your hand for testing the
fast version and for having fallback code. If you program it at
the same time as the rest, you do not waste much time -- but
it will save you much time if you need it (and don't have to
remember what all of this was supposed to do); and maybe even
earlier, when testing the fast version against the bulletproof
version...
____
(*) It is possible that it won't hinder you either.

Cheers
Michael