Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > what is the difference between getch() & getche()

what is the difference between getch() & getche()

Al Balmer

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:53:14 -0700, Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:52:39 +0000, Mark McIntyre
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>I've never heard of getche(). Did you perhaps mean getchar() ?

>>Its some ancient borland extension to C.

><OT> It predates Borland, and is "getch() with echo."
>
>Now, you may ask, what is getch()? It's off-topic.
></OT>

Repost. Damned spell checker.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:53:56 -0700, in comp.lang.c , Al Balmer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:53:14 -0700, Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>>>Its some ancient borland extension to C.

>><OT> It predates Borland, and is "getch() with echo."
>>
>>Now, you may ask, what is getch()? It's off-topic.
>></OT>

>Repost. Damned spell checker.

nono, "etch" was much more interesting. I mean, which programmer ever
cornered someone at a party and offered chance to see their getchings?
Mark McIntyre
--Brian Kernighan

Mark B

"srikanth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> help me out with the subject

Being as no one else in this group is willing to help you,
I've decided to take a stab at it myself.

Your question:
what is the difference between getch() & getche()

The answer you've been patiently waiting for:
The second function has an 'e' at the end of the name
and the first one does not.

HTH,
Mark

Richard Heathfield

B. P. TBC said:

> srikanth írta:
>> help me out with the subject
>>

> getch(): reads a char from the keyboard. It doesn't echoes it to the
> screen. getche(): reads a char from the keyboard and echoes it to screen.

In Zog C, getch() GETs a Cluster from the Hard disk - or at least it did
back in 1999.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Ben Pfaff

> B. P. TBC said:
>
> In Zog C, getch() GETs a Cluster from the Hard disk - or at least it did
> back in 1999.

And getche() summons a Cuban revolutionary?
--
"Your correction is 100% correct and 0% helpful. Well done!"
--Richard Heathfield

Len Philpot

Ben Pfaff said the following on 3/6/2006 5:24 PM:
> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> B. P. TBC said:
>>
>> In Zog C, getch() GETs a Cluster from the Hard disk - or at least it did
>> back in 1999.

> And getche() summons a Cuban revolutionary?

That would be Che Stadium, right?
--

---- Len Philpot -------- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
------- ><> ------------- http://members.cox.net/lenphilpot/

Joe Wright

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>B. P. TBC said:
>>
>>In Zog C, getch() GETs a Cluster from the Hard disk - or at least it did
>>back in 1999.

> And getche() summons a Cuban revolutionary?

Very good Ben.

--
Joe Wright
--- Albert Einstein ---

CBFalconer

Mark B wrote:
> "srikanth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> help me out with the subject

> Being as no one else in this group is willing to help you,
> I've decided to take a stab at it myself.

What do you mean? I posted a reply with an implementation of both
getch and getche in standard C about 30 hours ago.

osmium

"CBFalconer" writes:

> Mark B wrote:
>> "srikanth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> help me out with the subject

>> Being as no one else in this group is willing to help you,
>> I've decided to take a stab at it myself.

> What do you mean? I posted a reply with an implementation of both
> getch and getche in standard C about 30 hours ago.

It is my opinion that telling a joke twice doesn't make it any funnier. If
they didn't appreciate it on the first telling, they are unlikely to enjoy
it any more the second time they hear it.