Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > how to develop library ( .a and .so files) ! URGENT!!!

how to develop library ( .a and .so files) ! URGENT!!!

zoltan

Hi all,
This is REALLY urgent. I need some pointers/ links/suggestions on
how to develop a library using C. The library needs to be made generic
afterwards by using C++. Any ideas? The target is to develop a library
to implement a DNS Query, so I guess it should be a file in .a or .so
format. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Really urgent. Googling
didn't help at all. Thanks a lot...

Regards,

Timmy Jose.

Nelu

zoltan wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is REALLY urgent. I need some pointers/ links/suggestions on
> how to develop a library using C. The library needs to be made generic
> afterwards by using C++. Any ideas? The target is to develop a library
> to implement a DNS Query, so I guess it should be a file in .a or .so
> format. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Really urgent. Googling
> didn't help at all. Thanks a lot...
>
> Regards,
>
> Timmy Jose.

Write functions in a C file then compile the file using -shared
if you use gcc. The result is a dll (.so).
The question is OT on c.l.c.

--
Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
(... and that it still works...)

zoltan

Hi Nelu,
Sorry if the topic was out of place.... But thanks a lot anyway.
That helped a lot... I guess I'll "man" gcc and get the whole
documentation... Thankx a bunch

Nelu

zoltan wrote:
> Hi Nelu,
> Sorry if the topic was out of place.... But thanks a lot anyway.
> That helped a lot... I guess I'll "man" gcc and get the whole
> documentation... Thankx a bunch

You are welcome.
Please quote context when replying. I see you are using
Google groups. This (comp.lang.c) is not a google group
but an NNTP group that google can access.
Please remember:
- don't top post
- quote enough context so other people can understand
what you are replying to, even if you are replying to one
of your posts
- don't snip the authors of posts when you remove irrelevant
pieces of text
I know the default reply link in Google Groups doesn't
automatically quote the post you're replying to so
don't use that. Instead use the Reply link available when you
click on show options.

Thank you.

--
Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
(... and that it still works...)

Keith Thompson

"zoltan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> This is REALLY urgent.

Then perhaps posting to Usenet wasn't the best way to get information.

> I need some pointers/ links/suggestions on
> how to develop a library using C. The library needs to be made generic
> afterwards by using C++. Any ideas? The target is to develop a library
> to implement a DNS Query, so I guess it should be a file in .a or .so
> format. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Really urgent. Googling
> didn't help at all. Thanks a lot...

Why do you need to do this, and why is it so urgent? Is this
homework?

Vladimir S. Oka

zoltan wrote:

> Googling
> didn't help at all.

I can't believe this...

Cheers

Vladimir

--
Garbage In -- Gospel Out.

Malcolm

"zoltan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote > This is REALLY urgent. I need
some pointers/ links/suggestions on
> how to develop a library using C. The library needs to be made generic
> afterwards by using C++. Any ideas? The target is to develop a library
> to implement a DNS Query, so I guess it should be a file in .a or .so
> format. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Really urgent. Googling
> didn't help at all. Thanks a lot...

file mylibrary.c

void libfoo(void)
{
printf("This function does something useful\n");
}

file mylibrary2.c
void libbar(void)
{
printf("So does this one\n");
}

file test.c

#include "mylibrary.h"

int main(void)
{
libfoo();
libbar();
return 0;
}
Now play with your compiler until things work as you want.

Then write the real library.

zoltan

Keith Thompson wrote:
> "zoltan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > This is REALLY urgent.

> Then perhaps posting to Usenet wasn't the best way to get information.
>
> > I need some pointers/ links/suggestions on
> > how to develop a library using C. The library needs to be made generic
> > afterwards by using C++. Any ideas? The target is to develop a library
> > to implement a DNS Query, so I guess it should be a file in .a or .so
> > format. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Really urgent. Googling
> > didn't help at all. Thanks a lot...

> Why do you need to do this, and why is it so urgent? Is this
> homework?
>
> --
> Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

Hi,
This is not homework but something related to my project. One of my
modules is to develop a generic library for the DNS NAPTR Query and I
don't have any previous experience in this.
Regards,

Sunil Varma

zoltan wrote:
> Keith Thompson wrote:
> > "zoltan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > > This is REALLY urgent.

> > Then perhaps posting to Usenet wasn't the best way to get information.
> >
> > > I need some pointers/ links/suggestions on
> > > how to develop a library using C. The library needs to be made generic
> > > afterwards by using C++. Any ideas? The target is to develop a library
> > > to implement a DNS Query, so I guess it should be a file in .a or .so
> > > format. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Really urgent. Googling
> > > didn't help at all. Thanks a lot...

> > Why do you need to do this, and why is it so urgent? Is this
> > homework?
> >
> > --
> > Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
> > San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
> > We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.

> Hi,
> This is not homework but something related to my project. One of my
> modules is to develop a generic library for the DNS NAPTR Query and I
> don't have any previous experience in this.
> Regards,

This may be of some help.

http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg...libraries.html

Regards

Gordon Burditt

> This is not homework but something related to my project. One of my
>modules is to develop a generic library for the DNS NAPTR Query and I
>don't have any previous experience in this.

Code does not have to be in a generic library, or even in a library,
to function. You can simply write some functions and include
these functions (in the form of source code file(s)) in the set
of files compiled for each program. If you need working programs,
figuring out how to make libraries should not be a source of
urgency.

Gordon L. Burditt