Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > PROBLEM when editing DAT file!

PROBLEM when editing DAT file!

Sree

hello friends,

I was trying to edit DAT file. it's a video song and i wanted to cut
and play only
a part of the song, programatically.

When i was splitting the song starting from byte 0 to some byte 'n'
(n>>0), wmplayer
is able to play succesfully.

But when i am splitiing the file stating from some byte 'n'( where
n>0),
wmp is not able to play the file ( i saved it with .dat extn.)

I also tried to achieve this with the actual .dat format by prefixing
the
44 bytes ( RIFF + length + channels +...etc.) to the edited file.
But again the same problem.

What should i fo?
PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS ISSUE!

Vladimir Oka

Sree wrote:
> hello friends,
>
> I was trying to edit DAT file. it's a video song and i wanted to cut
> and play only
> a part of the song, programatically.
>
> When i was splitting the song starting from byte 0 to some byte 'n'
> (n>>0), wmplayer
> is able to play succesfully.
>
> But when i am splitiing the file stating from some byte 'n'( where
> n>0),
> wmp is not able to play the file ( i saved it with .dat extn.)
>
> I also tried to achieve this with the actual .dat format by prefixing
> the
> 44 bytes ( RIFF + length + channels +...etc.) to the edited file.
> But again the same problem.
>
> What should i fo?
> PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS ISSUE!

And how, exactly, is this topical in comp.lang.c???
You don't even mention the language you're using!

Try one of the Windows programming groups...

Cheers

Vladimir

Keith Thompson

"Sree" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I was trying to edit DAT file. it's a video song and i wanted to
> cut and play only a part of the song, programatically.
>
> When i was splitting the song starting from byte 0 to some byte 'n'
> (n>>0), wmplayer is able to play succesfully.
>
> But when i am splitiing the file stating from some byte 'n'( where
> n>0), wmp is not able to play the file ( i saved it with .dat extn.)
>
> I also tried to achieve this with the actual .dat format by
> prefixing the 44 bytes ( RIFF + length + channels +...etc.) to the
> edited file. But again the same problem.

This really isn't a C question.

Find out what format the file is in and look up the details of that
format (wotsit.org might be a good source of information). Given that
information, you *might* be able to figure out how to generate a valid
file containing some subset of the original file's data.

Once you've figured that out, feel free to re-post here if you're
having problems implementing it in C. (Don't expect us to know the
file format.)