Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Checkpointing Routines

Checkpointing Routines

thejim

Does anybody know what are Checkpointing Routines and what is their
role in fault tolerant computing?

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
thejim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anybody know what are Checkpointing Routines and what is their
>role in fault tolerant computing?

That is not a C question; I would suggest that you would get
a better answer in a newsgroup such as comp.programming .

As an approximation:

To checkpoint a computation is to save enough of its state so that
if you had to, you could take the saved information and pick up
where you left off.

If there is a hardware problem during a computation, or if you run out
of memory and are able to restore into less memory, then if you
checkpoint your computation regularily, you can tolerate (smoothly
deal with) the problem; if you do not take these kind of precautions,
then you would have to start back at the beginning again, which
might be completely unacceptable (e.g., you wouldn't want to
issue the same paycheque twice...)

Default User

thejim wrote:

> Does anybody know what are Checkpointing Routines and what is their
> role in fault tolerant computing?

Sounds just like the homework questions I'd get in an Operating Systems
class. The goal is for YOU to figure it out.

Brian

won't shut up.