Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Is there a C certificate?

Is there a C certificate?

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nelu
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
>> prove somebody's C skills.

>There is K&R and other books to learn from.

Though K&R 1 or 2 are both well out of date now and no much use for some
areas of programming.

>> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
>> which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in the future job
>> interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate. But I don't know
>> if there is one.

>Learning C will help you answer questions about C. A certificate
>may not be the answer. I know people that have different certificates but
>don't know much anyway. You should learn how to answer the questions
>not how to avoid them . This being said, I have no clue if there are
>specific tests for C certification but, if there are, someone will
>undoubtetly answer. Stick around.

/\/\/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Keith Thompson

Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nelu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
>>> prove somebody's C skills.

>>There is K&R and other books to learn from.

> Though K&R 1 or 2 are both well out of date now and no much use for some
> areas of programming.

K&R1 is out of date, but K&R2 is a good tutorial (and a decent
reference) on the language as defined by the C90 standard. It doesn't
cover C99, but then most implementations don't either (though support
of some features such as long long is very common).

K&R2 supplemented with some additional material on C99 and/or on
whatever system-specific extensions you need to know about should give
you a good understanding of the language.

slebetman@yahoo.com

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) said:
>
> > Leo wrote:
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> >> prove somebody's C skills.
> >>

> > Yes, there is. It is called a degree, either Computer Science or
> > Electronic Engineering (Computing).

> Yeah, right. A few years - er, actually it was almost a decade ago, I was
> given the task of getting some CS graduate trainees up to speed on the
> systems I was working on at the time (C with DB2). All of them had honours
> degrees. All of them had only been hired in the first place because their
> courses had had a great deal of C content.
>
> Yep, you guessed it - the first thing I had to do was teach them C.

Excellent example of my advice: better hope the interviewer is not a
regular here at comp.lang.c since neither a degree or 10 years of
experience coding C impress them much.

If you look around at comp.lang.c you'll find that people with years of
experience programming C for a living sometimes gets it wrong, an
honors degree means nothing to these people. A 'certificate' will mean
even less.

What people want to see is not what you have, but what you can do. So
regardless of degrees, certificates or experience interviewers will
always ask you to demonstrate the ability to code (though sometimes the
questions themselves illustrates the interviewer's lack of
understanding of C, sometimes invoking UB and ask you what the output
will be).

Some types of skill, such as human resource management, are impractical
to demonstrate in an interview. So a degree/diploma/certificate is
often used to judge such a skill. But coding and design
(hardware/software) can easily be demonstrated on a sheet (or several
sheets) of A4 paper. This is why interviewers will always ask such
questions. The degree/diploma/certificate you have is useful only in
getting you the interview. Once in front of the interviewer such
qualifications are meaningless.

Nelu

On 2006-01-12, Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Though K&R 1 or 2 are both well out of date now and no much use for some
> areas of programming.

I still think that K&R is a good start to learn C. For programming,
in general, there are other books, newer books, of course. But even
here, Knuth is a good start .

--
Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
(... and that it still works...)

websnarf@gmail.com

Leo wrote:
> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> prove somebody's C skills.

No.

> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
> which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in the future job
> interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate. But I don't know
> if there is one.

Methinks you are missing the point. If you are unprepared to answer
questions about C in a job interview, then you are also unprepared to
program in it on the job. I don't see how a certificate would change
this equation.

--
Paul Hsieh
http://www.pobox.com/~qed/

Chuck F.

Nelu wrote:
> On 2006-01-12, Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Though K&R 1 or 2 are both well out of date now and no much
>> use for some areas of programming.
>>

> I still think that K&R is a good start to learn C. For
> programming, in general, there are other books, newer books, of
> course. But even here, Knuth is a good start .

Knuth is good for programming, but has absolutely nothing to do
with the C language. K&R2 is probably unsurpassed for the OPs purpose.

Michael Wojcik

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> If you look around at comp.lang.c you'll find that people with years of
> experience programming C for a living sometimes gets it wrong, an
> honors degree means nothing to these people. A 'certificate' will mean
> even less.

There may be regulars here to whom "an honors degree means nothing",
and I doubt there are many regulars here who consider such a degree
any sort of proof (or even evidence) of competence in C, but there is
a world of difference between "not evidence of competence" and
"meaningless".

Some of us believe that formal education is quite valuable, and an
honors degree from a decent institution something to be proud of,
even if they are no guarantee of expertise in a particular area.

--
Michael Wojcik (E-Mail Removed)

Even though there may be some misguided critics of what we're trying
to do, I think we're on the wrong path. -- Reagan

Nelu

On 2006-01-13, Chuck F. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nelu wrote:
>> I still think that K&R is a good start to learn C. For
>> programming, in general, there are other books, newer books, of
>> course. But even here, Knuth is a good start .

> Knuth is good for programming, but has absolutely nothing to do
> with the C language. K&R2 is probably unsurpassed for the OPs purpose.

I was talking about Knuth being good for programming in general not C.
Is it possible to find K&R2 free on the Internet? I know you cand find
K&R, but I don't know about K&R2.

--
Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
(... and that it still works...)

Richard Heathfield

Nelu said:

> Is it possible to find K&R2 free on the Internet?

Not legally.

> I know you cand find K&R,

Not legally.

> but I don't know about K&R2.

Not legally.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

freak@Infectedmail.com

Send me $1000 and I'll send you a certificate.

Seriously now, just tell the interviewer you are a novice but a fast
learner and ask for a chance. Tell all about the other languages you
have conquered. The only way to learn a language is to use it.