Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Is there a C certificate?

Is there a C certificate?

Leo

Dear All,

I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
prove somebody's C skills.

I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in the future job
interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate. But I don't know
if there is one.

Thank you very much.

Michael Mair

Leo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> prove somebody's C skills.
>
> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
> which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in the future job
> interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate. But I don't know
> if there is one.

AFAIK, none that really says much.
Learn C, write a couple of outstanding programs in C and put
the source up on your homepage. Refer people asking for your
C skills to this homepage.

If you do not want to work for being able to prove your C
skills, then consider to admit that you have none. This avoids
the awkwardness of other people trying to elicit traces of C
knowledge from you.

-Michael

Nelu

> Dear All,
>
> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> prove somebody's C skills.

There is K&R and other books to learn from.

> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
> which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in the future job
> interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate. But I don't know
> if there is one.

Learning C will help you answer questions about C. A certificate
may not be the answer. I know people that have different certificates but
don't know much anyway. You should learn how to answer the questions
not how to avoid them . This being said, I have no clue if there are
specific tests for C certification but, if there are, someone will
undoubtetly answer. Stick around.

--
Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
(... and that it still works...)

Default User

Leo wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> prove somebody's C skills.
>
> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C
> questions which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in
> the future job interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate.
> But I don't know if there is one.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions to test your C knowledge."

"No need, I have a C Certificate!"

"Just the same . . ."

You're better off becoming proficient in the language. That means
things like reading and answering the questions textbook, and writing
programs. And more programs. Was writing programs mentioned? Yeah, do
that.

Brian

header.

James T. Sprinkle \(The Grue\)

There is no certificate that can prove your skills better than actual
experience.

The Grue

Mike Wahler

"Leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dq1djv$btpo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All,
>
> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> prove somebody's C skills.
>
> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
> which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in the future job
> interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate.

Possession of such a certificate is not going to stop
anyone from asking questions. Nor should it.

They're asking these questions in order to determine
your knowledge. If you want to show them that you
have the desired knowledge, you first need to acquire
that knowledge. Any 'certificate' or other document
that might arise from this is imo just a 'side effect'.

> But I don't know if there is one.

If you want a job writing C, you need to learn C.
So learn it. Do it at a school or on your own
or with a tutor, etc. Then you'll know it, and
will be able to answer interview questions.

-Mike

Chuck F.

Leo wrote:

> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C
> which can prove somebody's C skills.
>
> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C
> questions which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions
> in the future job interview, I hope to take some kind of C
> certificate. But I don't know if there is one.

Buy K&R, read it, do all the exercises, and lurk here. Then you
will be well prepared.

slebetman@yahoo.com

Leo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> prove somebody's C skills.

Yes, there is. It is called a degree, either Computer Science or
Electronic Engineering (Computing). Although these days some CS schools
are turning to 100% Java so in a few years even a degree won't be able
to 'prove' that you can do C. And you better hope the interviewer is
not a regular here at comp.lang.c since neither a degree or 10 years of
experience coding C impress them much.

> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
> which I was not prepared well.

In which case you should and must also fail any form of C
'certification' out there.

> To avoid such questions in the future job
> interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate.

I have an engineering degree and 6+ years of professional, industrial
experience coding C (10 years if you want to include my academic years)
and I still get asked such questions. What makes you think a
'certificate' will help you here? And when you get the job, and your
boss dumps a 200000 line C program to you asking you to add a new
client requested feature how do you expect to 'fake' it (this happened
to me, fresh out of college with 0 years professional experience)?

Richard Heathfield

> Leo wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
>> prove somebody's C skills.
>>

> Yes, there is. It is called a degree, either Computer Science or
> Electronic Engineering (Computing).

Yeah, right. A few years - er, actually it was almost a decade ago, I was
given the task of getting some CS graduate trainees up to speed on the
systems I was working on at the time (C with DB2). All of them had honours
degrees. All of them had only been hired in the first place because their
courses had had a great deal of C content.

Yep, you guessed it - the first thing I had to do was teach them C.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Prafulla Harpanhalli

Leo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am wondering if there is any programming certificate in C which can
> prove somebody's C skills.
>
> I just had a job phone interview. Somebody asked me a lot of C questions
> which I was not prepared well. To avoid such questions in the future job
> interview, I hope to take some kind of C certificate. But I don't know
> if there is one.
>
> Thank you very much.

If you can carefully search "Expert C programming" by Peter Van Der
Linden, you will find one certificate. But then, the author expects the
reader to crack some puzzels before you can *certify yourself*

--
Prafulla Harpanhalli