comingdt@hotmail.com

Hello,

I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
(yes I am an XBox junkie as well). The idea behind the organization is
to create an online sql server community which rewards it most active
members! Thus the organization is only as successful as the members
make it!

Please let me know what your thoughts are?
Would you join?
Why? Why Not?

Thanks for your time,
Derek

Keith Thompson

> I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore.

Then you need to understand the distinction between Google Groups and
Usenet.

Usenet is a system of newsgroups that has existed for decades; it even
predates the Internet.

groups.google.com provides an interface to Usenet. It also provides
some of its own non-Usenet groups. Confusingly, Google doesn't do a
very good job of making clear which groups are their own, and which
ones they're just providing an interface to.

Additionaly, their Usenet interface has some serious problems which
they have so far refused to correct. See
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> for details.

> I have just
> recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
> (yes I am an XBox junkie as well).

Finally, this newsgroup is comp.lang.c, which is for discussion of the
C programming language, particularly as defined by the ISO standards.
Since your posting has nothing to do with standard C, it's off-topic
here.

There's a comp.databases.ms-sqlserver newsgroup (also Usenet, not
Google), but I don't know whether your announcement would be topical
there. Read some of that group's archives and its FAQ list (if it has
one) before posting.

Richard Heathfield

(E-Mail Removed) said:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Google Groups,

This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a bit
like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a
burger-shop window.

> my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
> recently started an online sql server community at www.<elided>.com

Er, okay...

> Please let me know what your thoughts are?

My thoughts are not your thoughts.

> Would you join?

No.

> Why? Why Not?

Because I wouldn't join any group started by a person who didn't know the
difference between Google Groups and Usenet.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Randy Howard

Richard Heathfield wrote
(in article
<dpldi5$4ef$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com>):

> (E-Mail Removed) said:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to Google Groups,

> This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a bit
> like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a
> burger-shop window.

Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
on McDonalds.

And now for the URL I never thought I would post anywhere during
my lifetime: http://www.mcdonalds.com/

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
How 'bout them Horns?

Christopher Benson-Manica

Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
> mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
> on McDonalds.

Perhaps Mr. Heathfield has simply been watching too many Highlander
reruns of late?

Richard Heathfield

Randy Howard said:

> Richard Heathfield wrote
> (in article
> <dpldi5$4ef$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com>):
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) said:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am new to Google Groups,

>> This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a
>> bit like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it
>> through a burger-shop window.

> Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
> mistakes,

I did, didn't I? Well, you konw what they say about rpidde coming before a
fall?

(Yes, that's how I type when I don't allow myself the use of the backspace
key. Not *too* shabby, on the whole.)

> only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
> on McDonalds.

No doubt this is the very company that is so famous for their flagship
product, the Big Mc.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk

Randy Howard

Richard Heathfield wrote
(in article
<dplto9$g26$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com>):

>> only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
>> on McDonalds.

> No doubt this is the very company that is so famous for their flagship
> product, the Big Mc.

Indeed. Nobody (that I knew) ever said anything about product
marketing people making sense.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
How 'bout them Horns?

Al Balmer

On 5 Jan 2006 18:29:06 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
>recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
>(yes I am an XBox junkie as well). The idea behind the organization is
>to create an online sql server community which rewards it most active
>members! Thus the organization is only as successful as the members
>make it!
>
>Please let me know what your thoughts are?
>Would you join?
>Why? Why Not?

No. Because the organizer isn't qualified to operate an "on-line
community", since he doesn't understand the difference between Google
Groups and Usenet, or even the difference between SQL Server and the C
language.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
>mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
>on McDonalds.

Or he's been watching (the movie) Fargo recently. In that movie, one of
the affectations is the old guy referring to it as "MacDonalds".

Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:00:59 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Randy Howard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a

>that must be a typo above on McDonalds.

As a Scot, I can tell you you're both wrong, and so is the gizzard
grinder. Its spelt Mhic Dhomhnuill..

Mark Eoghainn Macaoidh Mhic an Tsaoir

--
"The lusers I know are so clueless, that if they were dipped in clue
musk and dropped in the middle of pack of horny clues, on clue prom