Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Socket programming for beginners

Socket programming for beginners

ballpointpenthief

Is this group the correct place to ask this question?

Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
= = = = == = ==== = = =====

I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.

Using lcc-win32:
I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.

Using dev-c++:
I get linker errors for some commands.

I suspect that my lack of knowledge as to what header files and what to
put in the linker is the cause of my grief.
The code is straightforward. {socket(), connect(), and suchlike for
client} & {socket(), bind(), listen(), accept() and suchlike for
server} that I found on two tutorials.

Where to go? I've wasted quite a lot of time.

Thanks, Matt

Eric Sosman

ballpointpenthief wrote:

> Is this group the correct place to ask this question?

No; C has no built-in networking facilities. Since it
appears you're using Windows, try a Windows forum. Or,
since you seem to be using the POSIX bindings, try a POSIX
or Unix forum.

> Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
> = = = = == = ==== = = =====
>
> I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.
>
> Using lcc-win32:
> I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.
>
> Using dev-c++:
> I get linker errors for some commands.

When you find an appropriate forum, you might take time
to elaborate on "some compilation error" and "linker errors."
All anyone can do with the information provided is guess that
you have made "some" mistakes "somewhere."

> I suspect that my lack of knowledge as to what header files and what to
> put in the linker is the cause of my grief.
> The code is straightforward. {socket(), connect(), and suchlike for
> client} & {socket(), bind(), listen(), accept() and suchlike for
> server} that I found on two tutorials.
>
> Where to go? I've wasted quite a lot of time.

You'll waste more if you don't learn to make a better
problem report. "Doctor, it hurts!" "Where does it hurt?"
"In my body." "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."

Good luck -- and remember: Very few of the people who may
want to help you happen to be mind-readers.

--
Eric Sosman

jacob navia

ballpointpenthief a écrit :
> Is this group the correct place to ask this question?
>
> Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
> = = = = == = ==== = = =====
>
> I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.
>
> Using lcc-win32:
> I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.
>
> Using dev-c++:
> I get linker errors for some commands.
>
> I suspect that my lack of knowledge as to what header files and what to
> put in the linker is the cause of my grief.
> The code is straightforward. {socket(), connect(), and suchlike for
> client} & {socket(), bind(), listen(), accept() and suchlike for
> server} that I found on two tutorials.
>
> Where to go? I've wasted quite a lot of time.
>
> Thanks, Matt

Hi

The first thing to do is read the documentation... isn't it?

Download from the lcc-win32 site:
http://www.q-software-solutions.de/pub/tutorial.pdf
and read the Network Programming part, beginning with
section 4.7: Client/Server programming using sockets.

When you understand that, you can go further. Since lcc-win32
is not on topic here (this group is about the C language)
pose any further questions in the newsgroup
comp.compilers.lcc

jacob

Keith Thompson

"ballpointpenthief" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Is this group the correct place to ask this question?
>
> Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
>
> I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.

You posted the same question twice, about 2 minutes apart. If this
was deliberate, it's a bad idea; if it wasn't, figuring out and
avoiding whatever you did to do this is a good idea.