Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > socket programming in C

socket programming in C

ballpointpenthief

Is this group the correct place to ask this question?

Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
= = = = == = ==== = = =====

I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.

Using lcc-win32:
I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.

Using dev-c++:
I get linker errors for some commands.

I suspect that my lack of knowledge as to what header files and what to
put in the linker is the cause of my grief.
The code is straightforward. {socket(), connect(), and suchlike} &
{socket(), bind(), listen(), accept() and suchlike} that I found on two
tutorials.

Where to go? I've wasted quite a lot of time.

Thanks, Matt

jacob navia

ballpointpenthief a écrit :
> Is this group the correct place to ask this question?
>
> Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
> = = = = == = ==== = = =====
>
> I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.
>
> Using lcc-win32:
> I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.
>
> Using dev-c++:
> I get linker errors for some commands.
>
> I suspect that my lack of knowledge as to what header files and what to
> put in the linker is the cause of my grief.
> The code is straightforward. {socket(), connect(), and suchlike} &
> {socket(), bind(), listen(), accept() and suchlike} that I found on two
> tutorials.
>
> Where to go? I've wasted quite a lot of time.
>
> Thanks, Matt

Hi

The first thing to do is read the documentation... isn't it?

Download from the lcc-win32 site:
http://www.q-software-solutions.de/pub/tutorial.pdf
and read the Network Programming part, beginning with
section 4.7: Client/Server programming using sockets.

When you understand that, you can go further. Since lcc-win32
is not on topic here (this group is about the C language)
pose any further questions in the newsgroup
comp.compilers.lcc

jacob

Keith Thompson

"ballpointpenthief" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Is this group the correct place to ask this question?

No.

> Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
> = = = = == = ==== = = =====
>
> I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.
>
> Using lcc-win32:
> I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.
>
> Using dev-c++:
> I get linker errors for some commands.

Standard C has no support for sockets; they're supported (if at all)
through add-on libraries. Since both implementations you mention are
Windows-specific (I know lcc-win32 is; I *think* dev-c++ is), you
might try comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. Or, as jacob
mentioned, there's a comp.compilers.lcc group where general questions
about using lcc-win32 seem to be considered topical.

Chuck F.

ballpointpenthief wrote:

> Is this group the correct place to ask this question?
>
> Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
> = = = = == = ==== = = =====
>
> I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.
>
> Using lcc-win32:
> I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.
>
> Using dev-c++:
> I get linker errors for some commands.

If you had posted it here you would have been told it was
off-topic. At any rate, try a group that deals with your system,
or comp.compilers.lcc (for the lcc operation)

Chuck F.

jacob navia wrote:
> ballpointpenthief a écrit :
>> Is this group the correct place to ask this question?
>>
>> Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here
>> anyway. = = = = == = ==== = = =====

.... snip ...

> The first thing to do is read the documentation... isn't it?
>
> Download from the lcc-win32 site:
> http://www.q-software-solutions.de/pub/tutorial.pdf and read the
> Network Programming part, beginning with section 4.7:
> Client/Server programming using sockets.
>
> When you understand that, you can go further. Since lcc-win32 is
> not on topic here (this group is about the C language) pose any
> further questions in the newsgroup comp.compilers.lcc

Well done Jacob. This should bring no topicality complaints.

Richard Bos

"Chuck F. " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jacob navia wrote:
> > Download from the lcc-win32 site:
> > http://www.q-software-solutions.de/pub/tutorial.pdf and read the
> > Network Programming part, beginning with section 4.7:
> > Client/Server programming using sockets.
> >
> > When you understand that, you can go further. Since lcc-win32 is
> > not on topic here (this group is about the C language) pose any
> > further questions in the newsgroup comp.compilers.lcc

> Well done Jacob. This should bring no topicality complaints.

Right. I know I've called Jacob various things in the past, but this,
Jacob, was one I can quite agree with.

Richard

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
Richard Bos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Chuck F. " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> jacob navia wrote:
>> > Download from the lcc-win32 site:
>> > http://www.q-software-solutions.de/pub/tutorial.pdf and read the
>> > Network Programming part, beginning with section 4.7:
>> > Client/Server programming using sockets.
>> >
>> > When you understand that, you can go further. Since lcc-win32 is
>> > not on topic here (this group is about the C language) pose any
>> > further questions in the newsgroup comp.compilers.lcc

>> Well done Jacob. This should bring no topicality complaints.

>Right. I know I've called Jacob various things in the past, but this,
>Jacob, was one I can quite agree with.

Good doggie, good doggie.

I'll bet he is soooooooo thrilled.