Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Bit shifts and endianness

Bit shifts and endianness

Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:36:37 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>The *value* of the result is base-independent, but its representation
>>isn't. For instance, using a common definition of add, 11+11=11=6+1,
>>provided the bases of each number are appropriately chosen

>Hmmm? Which bases would that be?

two, three, six and ten.

>11+11 is going to be an even number

Ya reckon?

Note that the post was made in response to remarks concerning how
unimportant bases were to teh "add" operation and which had an
example.
Mark McIntyre

Richard Heathfield

Mark McIntyre said:

> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 06:10:18 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c , Richard
> Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Well, Mark, I must disagree, and I think you'll find any mathematician
>>worth his salt disagreeing with you too. Values are indeed independent of
>>number base, whether you see meaning in that statement or not.

> Oh sure, but I need hardly remind you we're not in
> comp.lang.mathematica or alt.maths. Computer programmes operate on
> physically stored data.

That's irrelevant, but I'm done arguing. I don't see how I can make myself
any clearer than I already have. If you're not persuaded, c'est la vie.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Dave Thompson

On 6 Jan 2006 00:33:32 GMT, Chris Torek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<context (over?)aggressively snipped>
> More precisely (and more correctly ), "endianness" becomes
> an issue whenever someone or something takes a value apart,
> so that there is a "before" and an "after", or a "left" and a
> "right", or some other way of sequencing parts of the value.
>
> For instance, imagine you are moving from one place of living to
> another (e.g., moving apartments). Your car has room for 1/3 of
> your bed, but not the whole thing. You take a saw to the bed and
> cut it into thirds. You then transport each third to your new
> location and reassemble it.

I have long objected to (soi-disant) 'normal' people who accuse
programmers (such as myself) of being strange or weird.

I may have to reconsider.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net