Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > c and webservices?

c and webservices?

Is it possible to consume web services with c? If not, what other
languages would be needed to accomplish this?

Richard Heathfield

h said:

> Is it possible to consume web services with c?

Sure, given an appropriate library. All you need to do now is find a
newsgroup supporting your platform, so that you can ask about appropriate
libraries for that platform.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Chuck F.

h wrote:

> Is it possible to consume web services with c? If not, what other
> languages would be needed to accomplish this?

Not efficiently. You need spider. Try www.spiderosity.org. Also
read spider.man and whatwebsweweave.com

pawel_lesik

yes it is possible for example with gSOAP

Flash Gordon

pawel_lesik wrote:
> yes it is possible for example with gSOAP

Please provide context when posting. See
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ for reasons and instructions on how to
do this.

Also, please don't give off topic advice without at least redirecting
the OP to a more appropriate group. Since I am currently involved in
doing web service stuff I can definitely say that gSOAP is not always
the answer, and C is not always the best language. The OP should
therefore investigate what the options are for his/her platform and
discus them somewhere they are topical, which is not here.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.

Thank you everyone,

Richard, thanks, are there any suggestions you could give me that might
lead me to libraries for the windows platform?

Chuck, I checked out whatwebsweweave.com, thanks for the resource,
however, spiderosity.org doesn't exist, and I'm not sure where I should
look for spider.man.

pawel, thanks, I appreciate your help, I will look into gSOAP, I also
found http://www.sqldata.com/, ever hear of that one?

Thanks for taking the time guys,

Flash Gordon, I apologize for my mistakes, however, my question seems
very well within the knowledge base of this group, and so I'm gaining
alot of insight into my problem. My question pertains to the C
language, so to be quite honest I really don't know where else to go.
What would your suggestion be?

Michael Wojcik

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "h" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Is it possible to consume web services with c?

Yes, if by "consume" you mean either "invoke" or "provide". Both are
possible in C. They may even be possible entirely in portable C,
given a sufficiently flexible definition of "web services" or a
sufficiently generous implementation.

For most applications, however, you would have to use facilities
outside the C standard (which is what we discuss here), such as an
API for network communications.

I suggest that rather than reinventing the wheel, you look for a C
web services client or server implementation that suits your needs,
or at least for libraries that provide facilities such as HTTP and
XML parsing. Further discussion along those lines would be off-topic
for comp.lang.c and probably better directed to a newsgroup for your
target platform.

--
Michael Wojcik http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

We are subdued to what we work in. (E M Forster)

Christopher Benson-Manica

h <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Flash Gordon, I apologize for my mistakes, however, my question seems
> very well within the knowledge base of this group, and so I'm gaining
> alot of insight into my problem. My question pertains to the C
> language, so to be quite honest I really don't know where else to go.

1. Please quote properly:

It is proper Usenet etiquette to include the relevant portions of the text
you are replying to. To do this using Google groups, please follow the
instructions below, penned by Keith Thompson:

2. Please read

Flash Gordon

h wrote:
> Flash Gordon, I apologize for my mistakes, however, my question seems
> very well within the knowledge base of this group, and so I'm gaining
> alot of insight into my problem. My question pertains to the C
> language, so to be quite honest I really don't know where else to go.

No, your question mainly pertains to the availability of libraries for
your specific platform. The C language has absolutely no abilities for
the most fundamental things required for a web service, such as
communications over a network.

Perhaps I should start asking here how to work out where the horizon is
in am image given the altitude and attitude of the aircraft a camera is
mounted together with the HFOV VFOV and LDA of the camera? After all,
that is a C question because the code is required in C (code I actually
had to design and write, so it's not an invented example).

Perhaps I should ask people here about how to port ffdev and fred from
Linux to Windows? After all, they are written in C using libraries
written in C so surely that is a C question? (It is also a real question
and one I am part way through addressing)

Do you see the point yet? If not I'm sure I could come up with hundreds
more questions about libraries that are designed to be called from C
which 90% or more of the people here would have no knowledge of and
which, in reality, are nothing to do with C but instead to do with
implementation specifics or specific libraries which are not part of C.
Then I could flood the group with so many such questions that you would
not be able to find the actual C questions for all the non-C questions.

On the other hand, we could stick to talking about C which is what this
group is for, then if I have a problem with some badly written C code
that I will have to port to a true 64 bit system one day, and I want to
ask how to achieve in portable C things for which the code currently
uses dirty tricks, there will still be a few of the C experts around
that can help me come up with answers to my C questions.

> What would your suggestion be?

Since in another post you have asked about Windows you could try a
Windows group of which there are many including
microsoft.public.msdn.soaptoolkit. There they might tell you about
things written to take advantage of the MS specific libraries (I know MS
have an interest in SOAP). For more general discussions about
programming there is also comp.programming