Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Newbie needs help correcting code

Newbie needs help correcting code

Randy Howard

zotkara wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)> ):

[snip]

PLEASE stop replying by doing nothing other than changing the
subject line and quoting the entire previous message.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Keith Thompson

Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> zotkara wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)> ):
>> i think *argv[] cannot be an array since it is a pointer.

> It's not wise to argue with Richard about C. Almost all of the
> time he is correct. If you are having trouble with your code,
> odds are you are nowhere near as experienced. Listen to him, he
> has a great deal to offer for those that want to learn and have
> an open mind.

On the other hand, publicly disagreeing with an acknowledged expert
can be a good way to learn, usually by exposing precisely what it is
that you don't understand. (On very rare occasions, you might even be
right and the expert can be wrong.)

Note that zotkara wrote "I *think* *argv[] cannot be an array". That
was a true statement at the time he wrote it, he undoubtedly did think
that.

It might have been more appropriate to write something like, "I
thought that *argv[] counld't be an array since it's a pointer; what
am I missing?", but the end result is the same.

Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:07:09 +1100, in comp.lang.c , zotkara
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

(nothing, but changed the subject)

PLEASE do not reply and change the subject. Put your comment in the
message body.

Some newsreaders use the subject to link threads together, and many
other newsreaders don't display the subject of threaded posts (they
use the subject of the first post in the thread, and discard the rest
of the subjects), so your remark is completely lost.
Mark McIntyre

Richard Heathfield

Randy Howard said:

> It's not wise to argue with Richard about C.

Sig monsters take note.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Randy Howard

Richard Heathfield wrote
(in article
<dpf2c8$hbr$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com>):

> Randy Howard said:
>
>> It's not wise to argue with Richard about C.

> Sig monsters take note.

Indeed.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Randy Howard

Keith Thompson wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> zotkara wrote
>> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)> ):
>>> i think *argv[] cannot be an array since it is a pointer.

>> It's not wise to argue with Richard about C. Almost all of the
>> time he is correct. If you are having trouble with your code,
>> odds are you are nowhere near as experienced. Listen to him, he
>> has a great deal to offer for those that want to learn and have
>> an open mind.

> On the other hand, publicly disagreeing with an acknowledged expert
> can be a good way to learn, usually by exposing precisely what it is
> that you don't understand. (On very rare occasions, you might even be
> right and the expert can be wrong.)

Fair enough.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)