Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > sql server problem

sql server problem

Sapna Chauhan

hi all,
i am sapna and preparing my mcsd exams. i am having a
problem to backup a database in sql server 2000. actually
that database mdf file size is 400 MB but ldf file size is
more than 1 GB, so cnnot take backup. some error msg comes.
what to do for it. plz guide
thx

Syanide

truncate the logfile and shrink it.. --> the 'ldf' file

dbcc shrinkfile <<-- to shrink it

"Sapna Chauhan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:031401c42453$85d71f50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi all,
> i am sapna and preparing my mcsd exams. i am having a
> problem to backup a database in sql server 2000. actually
> that database mdf file size is 400 MB but ldf file size is
> more than 1 GB, so cnnot take backup. some error msg comes.
> what to do for it. plz guide
> thx

alex

hi sapna, how are u, well this is my first writing and i
hope that be usefull.
your log file is to large and its not so necesary that be
like that ( by the way, my english is not good )

you can deattach your database, then remove your log file
and attach it again... this are the steps USIGIN THE SQL
SERVER MANAGER:

SQL server manager:
1. Deattach your DB. Rigth click over the database name
2. All tasks--> deattach.

at file system level:
3. "backup your log file" just changin the name DON'T
ERAESE IT just in case to need it again.

sql server manager:
4. rigth Click over the sql server' registration name
5. all tasks-->attach database
6. it'll ask u if u want to recreate the log file. should
say yes
7. end

it'll recreate the log file with a size of 1KB, then try
to bakcup your database again.

just in case that this don't be succesfull:
rename again your log file to the original name and
from step 4
step 6 change to: define the log file route to the
original file.
7 end.

that's all

i made this work many times with out problems.
see ya, bye!