Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Open Source Community

Open Source Community

Mark L Pappin

Danilo Kempf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Richard Heathfield wrote:

>> If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
>> might just pay you a fortune.

> Wow, if he manages to factor primes I promise that I'll pay him a
> fortune, too!

/* Find factors of large prime 'p'.
All values stored in decimal in arrays of 'char'.

Note: it is the caller's responsibility to ensure
that 'p' is prime */

struct factors { char* a; char* b; } find_factors(char* p)
{
struct factors r;
r.a = p;
r.b = "1";
return r;
}

Any first-world currency or precious metal is fine.

mlp

Richard Heathfield

Afifov said:

> man, Bill Gates knows squat!

You're the same guy that thinks main returns void, right?

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

jacob navia

Afifov a écrit :
> Hello All,
>
> I am a software engineer, and I got promoted and no longer doing
> programming as in pure coding. I want to remain in touch with my C
> programming skills, especially that we are developing our software using
> C. Is there any open source community that I can join and keep my C skills
> sharp?
>
> Sorry if this post is out of context.
>
> Later.

Yes, there are many. You can look at SourceForge for inspiration.

Otherwise you can work with the lcc-win32. We are always happy to
welcome new people.

jacob

P.S.: The pages for the lcc-win32 C compiler are at:

http://www.q-software-solutions.de

Afifov

no one said main returns void! by default C returns an int (0,-1).
Yet, i stress the bill gates fact. Have you ever used MSDOS? or should I
say Dummy OS?
If anyone, bill cakes should thank IBM coz without the PC revolution and
IBM selling MSDOS with its PCs , then Bill and Microzift couldn't have
made a bundle and closed down!

Chuck F.

> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> And if you've been programming for any length of time, I'll
>> bet you've got a computer itch you'd like to scratch. Scratch
>> that itch - write that program. If you can write a program to
>> factor large primes, Bill Gates might just pay you a fortune.

> Factor large primes ? I always believed you can't do that in
> C...

Sure you can. Marc Pappin just gave an unpolished implementation,
with a few minor correctable flaws.

Richard is going to pay for his sloppy definition. And pay and pay
and pay and pay ...

Richard Heathfield

Afifov said:

> no one said main returns void! by default C returns an int (0,-1).

The only return values from main() that have portable semantics are 0,
EXIT_SUCCESS, and EXIT_FAILURE. Where did you get -1 from?

> Yet, i stress the bill gates fact. Have you ever used MSDOS?

Yes.

> or should I say Dummy OS?

Don't blame MS-DOS on Bill Gates. He did not write it.

--

Chuck F. said:

> Richard is going to pay for his sloppy definition. And pay and pay
> and pay and pay ...

Chuck, what are you talking about? Were you really not aware of the Bill
Gates "Road Ahead" quote to which I was alluding?

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk

Richard Bos

Danilo Kempf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Richard Bos wrote:
>
> > Danilo Kempf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Wow, if he manages to factor primes I promise that I'll pay him a
> >> fortune, too!

> > Does that go for me, too? I'll write you a program that, when given a
> > large prime number, will factor it for you nearly instantaneously and
> > (within the limits of the implementation) guaranteed correctly. Accuracy
> > for non-primes is, alas, not part of the specification. Will you pay me
> > a fortune for that?

> Okay, in such a case i would be willing to pay up to the amount of the
> smaller of the prime factors in a currency of my choice -- Euro probably.
>
> Might be considered a fortune by some people.

I'd say. You do realise that usually, 1 is not considered a prime factor
because if it is you can end up with an infinite amount of factors,
nearly all 1?

Richard

usenet@zevv.nl

Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chuck F. said:
>
>> Richard is going to pay for his sloppy definition. And pay and pay
>> and pay and pay ...

> Chuck, what are you talking about? Were you really not aware of the Bill
> Gates "Road Ahead" quote to which I was alluding?

Well, I wasn't, hence my reply...

Yet another new year's resolution for me: I will not try to be funny in
public.

Ico

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Keith Thompson

"Afifov" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> no one said main returns void! by default C returns an int (0,-1).

Wrong.

> Yet, i stress the bill gates fact. Have you ever used MSDOS? or should I
> say Dummy OS?
> If anyone, bill cakes should thank IBM coz without the PC revolution and
> IBM selling MSDOS with its PCs , then Bill and Microzift couldn't have
> made a bundle and closed down!

Yes, yes, we've all heard the standard Microsoft-bashing. Whether we
agree with it or not, it's off-topic here -- and frankly, it would be
boring even if it were topical.

Please provide some context when you post a followup. I'm sure you've
read the standard advice about how to post properly through
groups.google.com. You're using something called
www.talkaboutprogramming.com; I have no idea how to persuade it to
post proper followups, or even whether it's possible. If it doesn't
allow you to do so, I strongly suggest you stop using it to post to
Usenet. If you have no other alternative, you groups.google.com, but
*only* after reading <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>.