Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > a big problem

a big problem

Malcolm

""Dag-Erling Smørgrav"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> The hard part is addressing the screen. Virtually all C compilers
>> come with some sort of non-standard library for accessing character-
>> mapped screens.

> What is this "screen" you speak of? I've searched through my copy of
> the standard but found no mention of it.

Raster (addressable, modifiable pixels) devices attached to computers as
output devices.

The libraries to access them are non-standard, so the standard has no need
to mention such a thing.

Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:30:09 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c , "Malcolm"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>""Dag-Erling Smørgrav"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> The hard part is addressing the screen. Virtually all C compilers
>>> come with some sort of non-standard library for accessing character-
>>> mapped screens.

>> What is this "screen" you speak of? I've searched through my copy of
>> the standard but found no mention of it.
>>

>Raster (addressable, modifiable pixels) devices attached to computers as
>output devices.

Your sarcasm detector is broken. It seems exceptionally likely that
Dag-Erling knew this.
Mark McIntyre

Richard Heathfield

Dag-Erling Smørgrav said:

> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> The hard part is addressing the screen. Virtually all C compilers
>> come with some sort of non-standard library for accessing character-
>> mapped screens.

> What is this "screen" you speak of?

Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a
physical terminal between several processes (typically
interactive shells). Each virtual terminal provides the
functions of a DEC VT100 terminal and, in addition, sev-
eral control functions from the ISO 6429 (ECMA 48, ANSI
X3.64) and ISO 2022 standards (e.g. insert/delete line and
support for multiple character sets). There is a scroll*-
back history buffer for each virtual terminal and a copy-
and-paste mechanism that allows moving text regions
between windows.

(From the man page.)

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999