Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Return on Investment

Return on Investment

gilmore

I am looking into getting certified but am not sure which
direction to go - I want the best return on my investment.
In looking into this I found the following -
The 2003 CRN Certification Study found that for large
solution providers with at least $5 million in annual
revenue, two relatively new Microsoft certifications
provided the biggest bang for the buck. The Microsoft
Certified Solution Developer for Microsoft .Net (MCSD)
topped the list by a wide margin, providing a strong 170
percent return on investment (ROI). The Microsoft
Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) was a solid No. 2
with an ROI of 122 percent.
(From
http://www.crn.com/sections/Special/...tion/certifica
tion.asp?ArticleID=44021#bangchart)

Is anyone out there certified in both MCSD and MCDBA? Any
suggestions on which one to do? Don't DBA's generally
make more money?

Me2

Gilmore,

This article is speaking in regards to Independent Software Vendor firms and
other Vendors who employ individuals with these certifications.

The ROI to individuals who collect these certs on their own is less obvious,
and during the current job market (in the US at least) more non existent.

--
Ralph Page MBA, CMBA, MCDBA, MCSE, CCNA
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the
"gilmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1cfdb01c422ff$ff7a8180$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking into getting certified but am not sure which
> direction to go - I want the best return on my investment.
> In looking into this I found the following -
> The 2003 CRN Certification Study found that for large
> solution providers with at least $5 million in annual
> revenue, two relatively new Microsoft certifications
> provided the biggest bang for the buck. The Microsoft
> Certified Solution Developer for Microsoft .Net (MCSD)
> topped the list by a wide margin, providing a strong 170
> percent return on investment (ROI). The Microsoft
> Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) was a solid No. 2
> with an ROI of 122 percent.
> (From
> http://www.crn.com/sections/Special/...tion/certifica
> tion.asp?ArticleID=44021#bangchart)
>
> Is anyone out there certified in both MCSD and MCDBA? Any
> suggestions on which one to do? Don't DBA's generally
> make more money?

gilmore

But are they still a good investment and have you found (I
see you have quite a few and an MBA) that it helps to
increase salary? I found a MCSE course for $1500 at a
University.

---------------

---------------
>"gilmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
>news:1cfdb01c422ff$ff7a8180$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am looking into getting certified but am not sure

which
>> direction to go - I want the best return on my

investment.
>> In looking into this I found the following -
>> The 2003 CRN Certification Study found that for large
>> solution providers with at least $5 million in annual
>> revenue, two relatively new Microsoft certifications
>> provided the biggest bang for the buck. The Microsoft
>> Certified Solution Developer for Microsoft .Net (MCSD)
>> topped the list by a wide margin, providing a strong 170
>> percent return on investment (ROI). The Microsoft
>> Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) was a solid

No. 2
>> with an ROI of 122 percent.
>> (From

http://www.crn.com/sections/Special/...tion/certifica
>> tion.asp?ArticleID=44021#bangchart)
>>
>> Is anyone out there certified in both MCSD and MCDBA?

Any
>> suggestions on which one to do? Don't DBA's generally
>> make more money?

>.

Me2

You are asking for a short answer to a very long question. You need to
analyze the experience you have, where you are located, and what your career
plan/path is - among other things.

Right now in the US, my gut is that certs do not carry a lot of weight
(unless you are working for an ISV). There are too many IT people
unemployed/under employed with great skills and experience (including
myself). Who's to say what the future economic trends will be?

--
Ralph Page MBA, CMBA, MCDBA, MCSE, CCNA
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the
results."
-- Winston Churchill
"gilmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:18a5f01c42327$ab5b98a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> But are they still a good investment and have you found (I
> see you have quite a few and an MBA) that it helps to
> increase salary? I found a MCSE course for $1500 at a
> University.

Brad Williams

If you are concerned about cost, study the material independently instead.
When you pay for a cert-prep course you are paying a hefty premium for how
much less motivation and study-skill it takes to attend a class than to
study a book.

Brad Williams