Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > strcat() and segmentation faults. But malloc() already done.

strcat() and segmentation faults. But malloc() already done.

Mark B

"Flash Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk...
> Mark B wrote:
>> "Christopher Benson-Manica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:do9heq$q1v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Stanley S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
>>> ... Flames welcome.

>> You asked for it...

Tell me the stick isn't lodged that far up your ass...
you do realize my post was made in good humor, no?

<snip>
> There is no need to be insulting even if you disagree.

Is it possible to 'flame' someone without being insulting?

> You can tell it is generally considered acceptable because a significant
> portion of the regulars do it

Yes, I know... over and over and over again

> and the only regular poster I see complaining about it is a self
> acknowledged troll.

I've been posting (on and off) since 1999, albeit my email
address has changed a few times (and may need to be
changed yet again as sober@localbar is no longer valid.)

Granted I don't post daily, or even weekly if I don't have
anything to contribute (normally by the time I check OP
questions have already been answered...) but I still
consider myself a clc regular/poster.

I'd wager the average clc regular is tired of seeing the
'learn to quote in google' messages and would rather
that the 'proper posting enforcers' did like we do
(particularly with a msg such as the 'thank you' that
started this rant)... move on to the next message.

The reason you don't see more complaints is because
we know that it will only result in more crap that we
don't want to read.

That being said, let me be first to wish everyone a
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (in case I
don't post again between now and then - plan on
taking a few days off and don't typically check clc
when I'm not working

Be safe and enjoy the holidays.
Mark

Christopher Benson-Manica

Mark B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'd wager the average clc regular is tired of seeing the
> 'learn to quote in google' messages and would rather
> that the 'proper posting enforcers' did like we do
> (particularly with a msg such as the 'thank you' that
> started this rant)... move on to the next message.

You'll notice that the vast majority of these messages (at least those
now coming from me, and from Keith and others) are identifiable from
their subject line. If you are using a reasonable newsreader,
filtering posts by subject is a trivial matter.

> The reason you don't see more complaints is because
> we know that it will only result in more crap that we
> don't want to read.

It may also be that those who don't want to read it are in fact not
doing so. I sincerely hope you will see this post after your holiday,
since you seem to be suffering needlessly from a malady easily cured
by judicious use of newsreading software. Do enjoy yourself

Flash Gordon

Mark B wrote:
> "Flash Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk...
>> Mark B wrote:
>>> "Christopher Benson-Manica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:do9heq$q1v$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <snip>
>>> You asked for it...

> Tell me the stick isn't lodged that far up your ass...

There isn't one, there is also no need for that language. It may well be
intended as humorous, but that is not the way it reads to me. It is
certainly something more often said in my experience when intending to
be insulting than when trying to be humorous.

Before you ask, yes I do have a sense of humour, it is just aligned
differently to yours.

> you do realize my post was made in good humor, no?

It was not obvious that anything beyond the first line was intended as
humours.

> <snip>
>> There is no need to be insulting even if you disagree.

> Is it possible to 'flame' someone without being insulting?

Yes.

>> You can tell it is generally considered acceptable because a significant
>> portion of the regulars do it

> Yes, I know... over and over and over again
>
>> and the only regular poster I see complaining about it is a self
>> acknowledged troll.

> I've been posting (on and off) since 1999, albeit my email
> address has changed a few times (and may need to be
> changed yet again as sober@localbar is no longer valid.)

I actually checked on your name, not email address, and it was not
obvious to me that you have been around for a long time.

> Granted I don't post daily, or even weekly if I don't have
> anything to contribute (normally by the time I check OP
> questions have already been answered...) but I still
> consider myself a clc regular/poster.

Doesn't bother me either way. That would still only bring the total up
to two, which is fewer than the number of regulars posting such comments
or supporting them when the posts are challenged.

> I'd wager the average clc regular is tired of seeing the
> 'learn to quote in google' messages and would rather
> that the 'proper posting enforcers' did like we do
> (particularly with a msg such as the 'thank you' that
> started this rant)... move on to the next message.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, the opinion
of some of us is that if the problem is not pointed out to people the
group will quickly become unusable to a number of us. I certainly would
not stay if the majority of the posts were context less or top posting.

> The reason you don't see more complaints is because
> we know that it will only result in more crap that we
> don't want to read.

Entirely possible, after all it is generating more posts

> That being said, let me be first to wish everyone a
> Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (in case I
> don't post again between now and then - plan on
> taking a few days off and don't typically check clc
> when I'm not working
>
> Be safe and enjoy the holidays.

Thanks.

Enjoy your holiday and anything you celebrate around this time.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.

Keith Thompson

Christopher Benson-Manica <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Mark B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'd wager the average clc regular is tired of seeing the
>> 'learn to quote in google' messages and would rather
>> that the 'proper posting enforcers' did like we do
>> (particularly with a msg such as the 'thank you' that
>> started this rant)... move on to the next message.

> You'll notice that the vast majority of these messages (at least those
> now coming from me, and from Keith and others) are identifiable from
> their subject line. If you are using a reasonable newsreader,
> filtering posts by subject is a trivial matter.

Actually, I don't change the subject header when I post a followup.
On the other hand, I've shortened by Google advice to a single URL,
and I often combine it with a substantive response.

Christopher Benson-Manica

> Actually, I don't change the subject header when I post a followup.
> On the other hand, I've shortened by Google advice to a single URL,
> and I often combine it with a substantive response.

My apologies for misrecollecting.

Mark L Pappin

"Mark B" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Flash Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> and the only regular poster I see complaining about it is a self
>> acknowledged troll.

> I've been posting (on and off) since 1999,

There, there. No need to apologise - everybody was a newbie once.

> albeit my email address has changed a few times (and may need to be
> changed yet again as sober@localbar is no longer valid.)

Perhaps you need to investigate a more stable mail host. You could
join the ACM.

> I'd wager the average clc regular is tired of seeing the 'learn to
> quote in google' messages and would rather that the 'proper posting
> enforcers' did like we do (particularly with a msg such as the
> 'thank you' that started this rant)... move on to the next message.

I may not be average, but I'd rather that the myriad people at whom
the 'learn to quote in google' messages are aimed actually paid
attention to them BEFORE the next time they posted.

It's a faint hope.

mlp

Keith Thompson

Mark L Pappin <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Mark B" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> "Flash Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
>> I'd wager the average clc regular is tired of seeing the 'learn to
>> quote in google' messages and would rather that the 'proper posting
>> enforcers' did like we do (particularly with a msg such as the
>> 'thank you' that started this rant)... move on to the next message.

> I may not be average, but I'd rather that the myriad people at whom
> the 'learn to quote in google' messages are aimed actually paid
> attention to them BEFORE the next time they posted.
>
> It's a faint hope.

A more realistic hope is that Google will listen to us and fix their
broken interface.

If you haven't already, please visit
<http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=features>
and vote for "Default quoting of previous message in replies".