Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Need help on accesing more than 4GB

Need help on accesing more than 4GB

rajaramanv@yahoo.com

Hi All,

I want to understand how to access above 4GB memory using PAE
mechanism. I need some sample code which helps me to understand

1. How to enable PAE
2. How to setup page table for accessing above 4GB
3. How to read and write the memory more than 4GB.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Even some reference books also very
much helpful.

Thanks,
Raja

Keith Thompson

> I want to understand how to access above 4GB memory using PAE
> mechanism. I need some sample code which helps me to understand
>
> 1. How to enable PAE
> 2. How to setup page table for accessing above 4GB
> 3. How to read and write the memory more than 4GB.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. Even some reference books also very
> much helpful.

I don't know what PAE is. Whatever it is, it's almost certainly
off-topic here. Standard C has no mechanisms for setting up page
tables. You'll need to ask in a newsgroup that's specific to whatever
system you're using.

Flash Gordon

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to understand how to access above 4GB memory using PAE
> mechanism. I need some sample code which helps me to understand

<snip>

C has no knowledge of the PAE mechanism. As far as C is concerned you
just declare variables and use malloc and friends and everything works
until you run out of memory. If you need to do anything beyond this then
you have left the realms of C and need to ask in a grou dedicated to
your system.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
> I want to understand how to access above 4GB memory using PAE
>mechanism. I need some sample code which helps me to understand
>
>1. How to enable PAE
>2. How to setup page table for accessing above 4GB
>3. How to read and write the memory more than 4GB.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated. Even some reference books also very
>much helpful.

Not portable. Can't discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

Randy Howard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>):

> Hi All,
>
> I want to understand how to access above 4GB memory using PAE
> mechanism. I need some sample code which helps me to understand
>
> 1. How to enable PAE
> 2. How to setup page table for accessing above 4GB
> 3. How to read and write the memory more than 4GB.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. Even some reference books also very
> much helpful.

This is off-topic for this newsgroup, but if you are using
Windows, there are windows-specific system programming
newsgroups for developers that should be helpful. You may find
that googling for PAE and AWE will be helpful for Windows
however.

Don't respond or ask followup questions here though, such
processor and platform-specific questions are off-topic.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)