Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Explain why this prints the same

Explain why this prints the same

tedu

pemo wrote:
> "Kenneth Brody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > And it happens to be that sizeof(int)==sizeof(int*). Try it on a
> > system where this is not true, such as an old 16-bit DOS compiler
> > in large model mode. (sizeof int == 2, and sizeof int* is 4.)

> I really should *invest* in an 'old' compiler! And, it'd be so great to
> have a 'Take me Back' experience of my own [in an archive.org kinda sense].

you could buy a new amd64 machine and experience the same pain today,
only faster.

pemo

"Kenneth Brody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>> I used to have my first Ph.D. thesis on one of those removable hard
>> drives -
>> big clunky things, with equaly big handles!

> You mean one of those washing machines that stored data?
>
> That reminds me... My friend never returned my DEC-Tape with the copy
> of Star Trek on it that he borrowed (mumble, mumble) years ago.
>
>> Ok, I'm 48 - anyone care to beat that?

> Well, I'm "only" 44, but I do have 34+ years of programming experience.

"And you tell that to young. people today and. they won't believe you!"

Yup, it was a bit 'top-loader like' if memory still serves.

You've been programming longer then. I started as an undergrad - back then,
there was no university in the UK that offered *just* a degree in computing,
so I did a mixed degree, Computing and Pure Maths. Note the lack of the
term 'Computer Science' - wasn't really invented yet.

All my programming assignments had to be written out on coding sheets, and
handed into the machine room - where someone entered them, and probably
produced punched cards etc ... If you were unlucky, you'd turn up the next
day to get your printout, and find it said syntax error. Sometimes, it even
told you where! The *big* machine on which this stuff ran used to go on to
'MOP' at 6.00pm everyday. I don't believe I ever knew what MOP stood for,
but I know what it meant - the machine was hired out from 6.00 until
midnight every evening.

We did have one machine that we could program directly. A PDP ? In order to
use that, you had to enter the boot strap routine by flicking switches, and
then load the OS from seven hole punched tape.

Ah, those were the days!

pemo

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...