Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Solaris, Xdesigner, C......

Solaris, Xdesigner, C......

Jordan Abel

On 2005-12-01, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Randy Howard said:
>
>> There are no GUIs in standard C.

> There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
> stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
graphical character.

Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:56:27 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:43:51 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Sorry, your problem has to do with something system-specific, not with
>>>the C language.

>> Not entirely. At a guess, he's is missing a critical header which
>> defines _Xconst.

>And the question of which header that might be is entirely
>system-specific.

Agreed. However I feel the question can be answered in terms of ISO C.
The error means he's missing the definition of the type.

--
Mark McIntyre

Niklas Norrthon

> Hi,
>
> Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
> decided I'll
> ask the C gurus.
>
> First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.
>
> I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10.
>
> I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7. After I generated
> the C code, I tried to compile the main. I get many warnings and
> errors that are similar to the ones below (I cut and pasted the last 4
> errors because most of the compiling issues are similar.):

[snipped error messages]

Perhaps this is off topic here as other posters suggest, but perhaps not,
I don't know... And we can't tell you what's wrong, because you haven't
supplied us with enough information.

Next time you need help to decipher the output of a C compiler post the
portion of the code that is the cause of the error messages, together
with the error messages. And post the first 4 errors instead of the
last 4.

/Niklas Norrthon

Michael Wojcik

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jordan Abel <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 2005-12-01, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
> > stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

> And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
> as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
> clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
> mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
> graphical character.

Vertical tab is sensible for some screen-mode terminals, like IBM
3270s and 5250s. Those typically have a motion key defined for
something like "field down" - move to the next input field on the
screen below the current line.

I note the C99 Rationale says:

The vertical tab sequence ('\v') was added since many existing
implementations support it, and since it is convenient to have a
designation within the language for all the defined white space
characters. (5.2.2 ln 30-32)

In the PDP-10 archives at trailing-edge.com I see that the driver for
Qume, Xerox, Diablo, Gencom, and AJ830 hard-copy terminals has a "set
vertical tab" settting. I think that was used mostly with preprinted
forms - you could set vertical tabs corresponding to areas of the
form.

(According to the xterm docs, xterm treats VT as identical to LF,
which at least isn't "doing nothing or printing an unspecified
graphical character", though whether it's significantly more useful
is debatable.)

So while I agree that a GUI stdio could do something sensible with
VT, it appears that some non-GUI environments do so as well.

--
Michael Wojcik (E-Mail Removed)

This is a "rubbering action game," a 2D platformer where you control a
girl equipped with an elastic rope with a fishing hook at the end.
-- review of _Umihara Kawase Shun_ for the Sony Playstation

Dave Thompson

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:43:37 +0000 (UTC), Jordan Abel
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2005-12-01, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Randy Howard said:
> >
> >> There are no GUIs in standard C.

> > There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
> > stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

> And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
> as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
> clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
> mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
> graphical character.

Once upon a time there were printers that had vertical tabs, most
widespreadly the workhorse IBM 1403 series which used a small loop of
punched paper tape to specify "stops" for up to 12 IIRC channels, in
much the same fashion as typewriters and now word processor programs
allow you to set horizontal tab stops; by convention channel 1 was
top-of-form only, but others might be site or application dependent.
Many other manufacturers either used a compatible scheme, or an
incompatible but claimed better one. After about 1980 these started
falling out of fashion and I don't think I've seen any since 1990.

You might still find some dusty-deck Fortran that uses (used) these by
outputting carriage-control characters in column 1 other than space
and plus and '1', and maybe some COBOL although COBOL that needed
extensive page formatting would probably better use (have used) the
report-generator features instead of explicit code.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net