Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > what's the best hash function?

what's the best hash function?

Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 15:49:26 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Skarmander
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
>
>> And what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
>>

>You may have more success getting answers in
>comp.lang.python -- this may be a FAQ there.

rofl!!!

--
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre

African or European? http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/
--
Mark McIntyre

Jordan Abel

On 2005-12-05, Joe Estock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mabden wrote:
>> What is the best colour?
>>

> Red. No wait, Purple. On second thought, make that Green.
>
> I have no idea what it is you are asking since both the subject line and
> the body of your post are completely different and no context is
> provided in either. Please be more descriptive when you post as it helps
> us better help you.

It seems to me that he's responding to the question in the subject with
a rhetorical question, rather than responding to the body of the post he
is in reply to.

Mabden

"Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dn1162$jue$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Joe Estock said:
>
> > Mabden wrote:
> >> What is the best colour?
> >>

> > Red. No wait, Purple. On second thought, make that Green.

> ' . .
> ea e o ee e o a
> Pl s d n t f d th tr lls Th nks

Buuuuurrrrp!

Seriously, it was an answer to the post. How can one say what the best
hash function is without knowing the data? I think my answer was quite
appropos.

--
Mabden

Mabden

"Christopher Benson-Manica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:dn1jor$8no$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joe Estock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Red. No wait, Purple. On second thought, make that Green.

> And what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/

"the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow
is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour. "

--
Mabden

Joe Estock

Mabden wrote:
> "Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dn1162$jue$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>
>>Joe Estock said:

>>>Red. No wait, Purple. On second thought, make that Green.

>> ' . .
>> ea e o ee e o a
>>Pl s d n t f d th tr lls Th nks
>>

> Buuuuurrrrp!
>
> Seriously, it was an answer to the post. How can one say what the best
> hash function is without knowing the data? I think my answer was quite
> appropos.

If enough of the original post were left in your reply then I would be
inclined to agree, however I had nothing but the text I replied to and
misinterpreted your reply. Yet another classic example of why you should
quote enough text from the previous post so that someone looking at the
thread for the very first time has enough information to understand your
reply. For all I know you could have been the OP replying to your
original thread.

Joe

Mabden

"Joe Estock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Mabden wrote:
> > "Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:dn1162$jue$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> >> ' . .
> >> ea e o ee e o a
> >>Pl s d n t f d th tr lls Th nks

> > Buuuuurrrrp!
> >
> > Seriously, it was an answer to the post. How can one say what the

best
> > hash function is without knowing the data? I think my answer was

quite
> > appropos.

> If enough of the original post were left in your reply then I would be
> inclined to agree, however I had nothing but the text I replied to and
> misinterpreted your reply. Yet another classic example of why you

should
> quote enough text from the previous post so that someone looking at

the
> thread for the very first time has enough information to understand

your
> reply. For all I know you could have been the OP replying to your
> original thread.

It really wouldn't help. The subject says it all, but here it is, in all
its 2-word glory:
======================
is this?

int hashpjw(char* str,int size)
{
unsigned long h=0,g;
for(unsigned char *p=(unsigned char*)str;*p;++p)
{
h=(h<<4)+*p;
if(g=(h&0xf0000000))
{
h^=(g>>24);
h^=g;
}
}
return h%size;
}

======================

Now, does that really need to have been included. I think not.

I await your apology with anticip...
..
..
..
..
ation

--
Mabden

Joe Estock

Mabden wrote:
[snip irrelevant stuff to my reply]
>>If enough of the original post were left in your reply then I would be
>>inclined to agree, however I had nothing but the text I replied to and
>>misinterpreted your reply. Yet another classic example of why you should
>>quote enough text from the previous post so that someone looking at
>>the thread for the very first time has enough information to understand
>>your reply. For all I know you could have been the OP replying to your
>>original thread.
>>

> It really wouldn't help. The subject says it all, but here it is, in all
> its 2-word glory:
> ======================
> is this?

[snip 14 lines of code for hash function]

> ======================
>
> Now, does that really need to have been included. I think not.

I agree that it did not need to be included, however you could have at
least included some context such as [snip useless function] so that
others who do not have access to the original thread can better
understand why you replied as you did.

> I await your apology with anticip...

[snip gratuitous waste of newlines]
> ation

None needed since I said nothing that demands an apology. I was simply
pointing out that if you had quoted (or at least noted that you trimmed)
the original post that I would not have replied as I did. You don't read
the last message in a thread without first reading the original post and
neither do I.

Joe

Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:19:53 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Joe Estock
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mabden wrote:
>>
>> I await your apology with anticip...

>[snip gratuitous waste of newlines]

I fear the joke went over your head.

>> ation

>None needed

And you shall recieve it, in abundance.

gd&r

Jordan Abel

On 2005-12-08, Joe Estock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I await your apology with anticip...

> [snip gratuitous waste of newlines]

it's not like we're killing trees, here - they probably only occupy a
byte apiece in storage and two over the wire. Your complaint was almost
certainly bigger.