Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Please help with wireless settings

Please help with wireless settings

Sue Swaze

Hi everyone

I'm just trying to set up a wireless network at home so my son can
connect to the Internet through my computer (dial up) and can print on
my printer. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to work
all afternoon.

I have two Microsoft wireless adapters and they are talking to each
other with good signal strength. They have different computer names
but the same SSID and workgroup, and security is switched off for now.

My son's computer can connect to the Internet through my PC but I
cannot get them to share files and printers at all. I think I
followed the instructions OK and enabled file and printer sharing on
both computers but they cannot seem to see anything in the workgroup
other than themselves. (I have set up a few shared folders on each of
them).

Both PCs are running XP Home SP1 (waiting for SP2 to arrive) and I
have configured them using the Network Setup Wizard so they have
static IP number of 192.168.0.1 for my PC and 192.168.0.20 for my
son's.

Any ideas about what I have missed here? The connections must be
working as they can share the Internet connection, but I'm at a loss
on why the shared folders and printers don't work.

Many thanks for any help and tips.

Best wishes

Sue

Pavel A.

Can you ping your computer from your son's?
If no: resolve this.
If yes: on your son's computer, type:
net view \\192.168.0.1
Post what you see.

Regards,
--PA

"Sue Swaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm just trying to set up a wireless network at home so my son can
> connect to the Internet through my computer (dial up) and can print on
> my printer. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to work
> all afternoon.
>
> I have two Microsoft wireless adapters and they are talking to each
> other with good signal strength. They have different computer names
> but the same SSID and workgroup, and security is switched off for now.
>
> My son's computer can connect to the Internet through my PC but I
> cannot get them to share files and printers at all. I think I
> followed the instructions OK and enabled file and printer sharing on
> both computers but they cannot seem to see anything in the workgroup
> other than themselves. (I have set up a few shared folders on each of
> them).
>
> Both PCs are running XP Home SP1 (waiting for SP2 to arrive) and I
> have configured them using the Network Setup Wizard so they have
> static IP number of 192.168.0.1 for my PC and 192.168.0.20 for my
> son's.
>
> Any ideas about what I have missed here? The connections must be
> working as they can share the Internet connection, but I'm at a loss
> on why the shared folders and printers don't work.
>
> Many thanks for any help and tips.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Sue

Edward W. Thompson

Have you opened Explorer right click on the drive you want to share, click
the 'sharing' tab and enabled sharing. You need to do this for each drive
on each computer to share.

"Sue Swaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm just trying to set up a wireless network at home so my son can
> connect to the Internet through my computer (dial up) and can print on
> my printer. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to work
> all afternoon.
>
> I have two Microsoft wireless adapters and they are talking to each
> other with good signal strength. They have different computer names
> but the same SSID and workgroup, and security is switched off for now.
>
> My son's computer can connect to the Internet through my PC but I
> cannot get them to share files and printers at all. I think I
> followed the instructions OK and enabled file and printer sharing on
> both computers but they cannot seem to see anything in the workgroup
> other than themselves. (I have set up a few shared folders on each of
> them).
>
> Both PCs are running XP Home SP1 (waiting for SP2 to arrive) and I
> have configured them using the Network Setup Wizard so they have
> static IP number of 192.168.0.1 for my PC and 192.168.0.20 for my
> son's.
>
> Any ideas about what I have missed here? The connections must be
> working as they can share the Internet connection, but I'm at a loss
> on why the shared folders and printers don't work.
>
> Many thanks for any help and tips.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Sue

Sue Swaze

Hi Pavel, thanks for your help.

I tried pinging both ways but the requests are just timing out. Any idea why?

Thanks again,

Sue

Sue Swaze

Thanks for replying.

The drives are shared out. I think the problem is that the PCs are
not talking to each other properly as they can't ping each other.
Problem is, I don't know why!

Any further help much appreciated.

Sue

Jack

Hi

Since your son can use the Internet through your computers it seems that on
a basic level the computers can talk via the Wireless.

I would temporarily Switch off ICS and forget about Internet.

Make first a solid Network, once you achieve solid Network, Switch ICS On
again.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sue Swaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks for replying.
>
> The drives are shared out. I think the problem is that the PCs are
> not talking to each other properly as they can't ping each other.
> Problem is, I don't know why!
>
> Any further help much appreciated.
>
> Sue

Pavel A.

"Sue Swaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> I tried pinging both ways but the requests are just timing out. Any idea why?

Ok so there is some basic prob either with tcp/ip settings (that seem correct)
or the wireless is not really working.
It's not quite clear from your 1st post what is your config - are two WLAN cards working in ad-hoc mode?
Have you run the "Home network wizard" or just set manually the fixed IP om both adapters?
Until you get succesfful ping, nothing else will work.

--PA

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBBbGxlZ3Jh?=

Hello, I think I know what you need to do to see files on you other computer.
First open 'My Computer', then click on 'tools', then click on 'Map Network
drive'. Pick a drive letter in the window that pops up, and the click on the
browse button to find the folders or drive on the other computer that you
want files from.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Since your son can use the Internet through your computers it seems that on
> a basic level the computers can talk via the Wireless.
>
> I would temporarily Switch off ICS and forget about Internet.
>
> Make first a solid Network, once you achieve solid Network, Switch ICS On
> again.
>
> Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
> Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Sue Swaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Thanks for replying.
> >
> > The drives are shared out. I think the problem is that the PCs are
> > not talking to each other properly as they can't ping each other.
> > Problem is, I don't know why!
> >
> > Any further help much appreciated.
> >
> > Sue

Sue Swaze

Thanks Jack

I had a quick look at the web page and there seems to be lots to try
there. I will post back hopefully when I have sorted it out or
failing that if I still have problems.

I have a couple of quick queries if you could spare a moment to
respond.

On the page it suggests either resetting the TCP/IP stack or
forgetting this and using NETBEUI.

1. To reset the TCP/IP stack, is it as simple as running "netsh int ip
reset resetlog.txt" on both the PCs? If so, sounds like that might be
worth trying first to see whether it helps.

2. It looks like the NETBEUI idea is pretty simple and stands a good
chance of working - are there any disadvantages to this? The "home
network" is never going to grow to more than 3-4 PCs, so size should
be OK. Will NETBEUI work with WinXP SP2 when I install it?

Thanks again for your help on this. I really appreciate the time you
have taken to post a response and hope that it will all be sorted
later today when I get the time to try the fixes.

Best wishes

Sue

---

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi
>
> Since your son can use the Internet through your computers it seems that on
> a basic level the computers can talk via the Wireless.
>
> I would temporarily Switch off ICS and forget about Internet.
>
> Make first a solid Network, once you achieve solid Network, Switch ICS On
> again.
>
> Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
> Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Sue Swaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Thanks for replying.
> >
> > The drives are shared out. I think the problem is that the PCs are
> > not talking to each other properly as they can't ping each other.
> > Problem is, I don't know why!
> >
> > Any further help much appreciated.
> >
> > Sue

Sue Swaze

Hi Jack

Many thanks for taking the time to post a response. I haven't had
time to do the suggested fixes from the web page yet but hopefully
they will sort out my headaches!

A couple of quick queries on the suggested fixes.

Firstly, is resetting the TCP/IP stack as simple as running the "netsh
int ip reset resetlog.txt" command on both PCs? Can this do any harm
(eg stop the shared Internet connection working)?

Secondly, the NETBEUI idea looks good. Are there any disadvantages to
this? It looks to be well suited to my "home network" of a couple of
PCs, perhaps 1 or 2 more in the future. Is it compatible with WinXP
SP2 if and when I install that?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the time you have
taken to try to help me out, and hope one or other of these fixes will
do the trick. I'll post back either way.