Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > sentinel control loops

sentinel control loops

Ben Pfaff

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:01:55 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I suggest we accept the usage as a regional variant, just as we accept
>>both American and British spellings.

> Alternatively, one could take the opportunity to correct what seems
> mostly to be a misunderstanding. I work with many folks with
> subcontinental origins, and few if any of them make this mistake. If
> anything, it seems to be am americanism....

That's strange--I've never run into anyone not from India who
routinely calls a question a "doubt".
--
Ben Pfaff
web: http://benpfaff.org

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:01:55 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I suggest we accept the usage as a regional variant, just as we accept
>>both American and British spellings.

> Alternatively, one could take the opportunity to correct what seems
> mostly to be a misunderstanding. I work with many folks with
> subcontinental origins, and few if any of them make this mistake. If
> anything, it seems to be am americanism....

That assumes that it's a mistake. Ben Pfaff's statement seemed to
imply that it's become more or less standard usage in Indian English,
no more of a mistake than spelling "color" with a 'u'.

I have little basis for judging one way or the other. Merriam
Webster's Collegiate Dictionary doesn't show that "doubt" can mean
"question", but it may not cover Indian usage.

Whether "doubt" can legitimately mean "question" is a question for
alt.usage.english. A quick search there shows a couple of threads on
the subject; the consensus there seems to be that using "doubt" to
mean "question" is incorrect. I'd be interested in seeing a more
definitive answer.

Either way, those of us who read comp.lang.c need to be aware that the
word "doubt" is often used to mean "question", particularly (it seems)
by posters from India. Conversely, posters would be well advised to
use the word "question" to avoid any misunderstandings by those of us
who speak American or British English.

Niklas Norrthon

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:01:55 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >I suggest we accept the usage as a regional variant, just as we accept
> >both American and British spellings.

> Alternatively, one could take the opportunity to correct what seems
> mostly to be a misunderstanding. I work with many folks with
> subcontinental origins, and few if any of them make this mistake. If
> anything, it seems to be am americanism....

If it really is incorrect to use the word "doubt" where most poeple
would expect "question", wouldn't it be off topic and against the
c.l.c culture to correct such usage here instead of pointing out
the correct newsgroup for discussions about the English language?

/Niklas Norrthon

Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:39:18 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Alternatively, one could take the opportunity to correct what seems
>> mostly to be a misunderstanding.

>That assumes that it's a mistake. Ben Pfaff's statement seemed to
>imply that it's become more or less standard usage in Indian English,

I was making two points
1) I don't consider Ben's experience typical of the Indians I know.
2) I don't think its a bad thing to help people learn better english.

I'd always thought that the point of a human language was to
communicate, and if common words are used unusually, then
communication becomes tricky.

To slip back into C for a moment, there's nothing actually *wrong*
with naming all variables UPPERCASE and all macros in lowercase, or
using macros such as #define P printf, or using the suffix sz to
identify doubles. I suspect that we'd generally agree however that
such usage was confusing, no matter how 'commonplace' it might be in
the school or country from which the poster hailed.

By the way I'd agree more with your thesis by the way if I'd not seen
the same usage from many non-Indians in this group.

>no more of a mistake than spelling "color" with a 'u'.

Luckily we brits can keep our pants up without suspenders....

>Either way, those of us who read comp.lang.c need to be aware that the
>word "doubt" is often used to mean "question", particularly (it seems)
>by posters from India. Conversely, posters would be well advised to
>use the word "question" to avoid any misunderstandings by those of us
>who speak American or British English.

Absolutely.
--
Mark McIntyre

DVD Verdict reviews: THE SENTINEL: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 04-26-2006 08:25 AM
Loops with loops using html-template Me Perl Misc 2 01-12-2006 05:07 PM
ConfigParser - add a stop sentinel? rzed Python 2 01-12-2005 07:17 PM
sentinel d.j. C++ 3 04-22-2004 05:19 AM
win xp serious error - sentinel DLL? hugh jass Computer Support 4 11-04-2003 04:38 PM

Advertisments