Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Stopping a while loop with user input ?

Stopping a while loop with user input ?

pete

Flash Gordon wrote:

> In n1124, section 7.13, it also says:
> All identifiers with external linkage in any of the following
> subclauses (including the future library directions) are always
> reserved for use as identifiers with external linkage.157)
>
> So you can never use the names for functions unless you don't include
> the relevant header *and* you declare the function as static.

Since one header may #include another,
it might not be possible to tell which headers have been #included,
just by looking at the source.

--
pete

Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:21:13 GMT, in comp.lang.c , pete
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Flash Gordon wrote:
>
>> In n1124, section 7.13, it also says:
>> All identifiers with external linkage in any of the following
>> subclauses (including the future library directions) are always
>> reserved for use as identifiers with external linkage.157)
>>
>> So you can never use the names for functions unless you don't include
>> the relevant header *and* you declare the function as static.

>Since one header may #include another,
>it might not be possible to tell which headers have been #included,
>just by looking at the source.

Not relevant to the point. Also, ISTR that standard headers aren't
allowed to arbitrarily include each other.
--
Mark McIntyre

pete

Mark McIntyre wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:21:13 GMT, in comp.lang.c , pete
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Flash Gordon wrote:
> >
> >> In n1124, section 7.13, it also says:
> >> All identifiers with external linkage in any of the following
> >> subclauses (including the future library directions) are always
> >> reserved for use as identifiers with external linkage.157)
> >>
> >> So you can never use the names for functions unless you don't include
> >> the relevant header *and* you declare the function as static.

> >Since one header may #include another,
> >it might not be possible to tell which headers have been #included,
> >just by looking at the source.

> Not relevant to the point. Also, ISTR that standard headers aren't
> allowed to arbitrarily include each other.

My recollection is only that there are some specific library functions,
which other library functions must act as though they do not call.

--
pete

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:21:13 GMT, in comp.lang.c , pete
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Flash Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> In n1124, section 7.13, it also says:
>>> All identifiers with external linkage in any of the following
>>> subclauses (including the future library directions) are always
>>> reserved for use as identifiers with external linkage.157)
>>>
>>> So you can never use the names for functions unless you don't include
>>> the relevant header *and* you declare the function as static.

>>Since one header may #include another,
>>it might not be possible to tell which headers have been #included,
>>just by looking at the source.

> Not relevant to the point. Also, ISTR that standard headers aren't
> allowed to arbitrarily include each other.

True, but a programmer-supplied header can include a standard header.

For example, the following:

#include "foobar.h"
static void sin(char *s);
sin("gluttony");

is ok only if you can be sure that "foobar.h" doesn't directly or
indirectly include <math.h>.

I'd comment on whether that's relevant to the point if I were sure
what the point is. (That's not a request for information.)

while loop in a while loop Steven Java 5 03-30-2005 09:19 PM
Re: Stopping a loop with user input. in curses Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III Python 1 07-23-2003 02:20 AM
Re: Stopping a loop with user input. in curses Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III Python 2 07-22-2003 03:22 AM
Re: Stopping a loop with user input. in curses Chatralias Python 0 07-20-2003 03:09 PM

Advertisments