Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Learn: linking, small data area, bss, relocation ...

Learn: linking, small data area, bss, relocation ...

termiflyer

Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web pages,
etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know assembler
fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things done).
What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent code,
relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in flash,
relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
get the code to do what you want.

Thanks!!

Dale

"termiflyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1128697810.153693.143770
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web pages,
> etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
> programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know assembler
> fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things done).
> What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent code,
> relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in flash,
> relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
> get the code to do what you want.

The back end of the compiler and the linker do all that, so maybe somebody
in a compiler group will give a ****.

Thad Smith

termiflyer wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web pages,
> etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
> programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know assembler
> fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things done).
> What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent code,
> relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in flash,
> relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
> get the code to do what you want.

This is off-topic in comp.lang.c. If you are considering placing code
in flash, you might want to visit comp.arch.embedded.

As far as segments and relocation, I suggest reading the documentation
for the linker that you are interested in.

Thad

Mabden

"Thad Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4347f21f$0$27302$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
> termiflyer wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web

pages,
> > etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
> > programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know

assembler
> > fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things

done).
> > What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent

code,
> > relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in

flash,
> > relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly

> > get the code to do what you want.

> This is off-topic in comp.lang.c. If you are considering placing code
> in flash, you might want to visit comp.arch.embedded.
>
> As far as segments and relocation, I suggest reading the documentation
> for the linker that you are interested in.

Also, find a newsgroup for the hardware you are interested in.

--
Mabden

S.Tobias

In comp.lang.c termiflyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web pages,
> etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
> programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know assembler
> fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things done).
> What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent code,
> relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in flash,
> relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
> get the code to do what you want.

I'm not an expert in the field and I can't give you much advice,
but I think this might be a good overview:
http://www.iecc.com/linker/

You might also find some papers by Ulrich Drepper interesting.

comp.programming is probably a good place to ask this kind
of questions, too. It's definitely OT in c.l.c.

--
Stan Tobias
mailx `echo http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)LID | sed s/[[:upper:]]//g`