Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > K&R Wishlist

K&R Wishlist

Mabden

"Chris Hills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rLkIx$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Vu70f.169$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mabden
> <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes
> >Keith, I don't drag you in - you butted in! This forum is just a Q &

> >session amongst friends. Stop trying to control the content of
> >professional C programmers, while promoting answering homework

questions
> >from Outsource countries.

> As far as I am concerned the USA is an Outsource country. This is an
> International NG.

I'm Canadian. But the computer was invented in America, and the
languages created there. The program you are using right now was written
there, unless you use Linux in which case it was 95% written there, with
some parts written in Europe by the man who lives there now. The
transmition protocol was written there and the lines the signal are
going down was invented there. The keyboard you are using was designed
there, and the placement of the keys was decided by someone there. The
font you are using was designed there, even tho you could have any
number of different ways to show letters, you use one Made In America.
And so do the people in India, China, Japan, Africa, Sweden, Norway,
etc.
The server hosting your words is in America, although you probably have
a local mirror.
The books sitting in your room are almost all written in America
(dictionaries and legal books don't count).

Name a piece of software you use that wasn't written in America (that
you didn't write yourself or for work).

> Besides who helped you when you were learning?

No one. I got a job doing Assembler on Z80 cpus which I had never worked
on before, and learned that by reading the manual and working on
existing code. We didn't even have all the sources, and had to
disassemble the .obj files to see how some stuff worked. When the
company bought a C-based program to replace the one we had, they sent me
to a 1 month class in Washington (the state) and I bought the K&R
version 1.

Back then CompuServe was $12 and hour and when you had a question you
typed it out well and in detail, logging on for the minimum time you
could. But I mostly asked and solved DOS questions back then.

> >Some of us are in dire straits and you are
> >yelling about humor while helping someone else steal my job!

> You are in a world wide market. Perhaps I should stop answering
> questions from the US as they are Job stealers? Or do you want to go
> away into a US only NG?

I am in one. Why are YOU here?

> > You are too
> >sensitive, and too controlling. You are wrong and you are anal.

> Well that could be said of you too.

Yes it could. Just another example of outsourcing - you can't even make
up an original insult without copying it.

--
Mabden

Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:20:07 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Mabden"
<mabden@sbc_global.net> wrote:

>"Nick Keighley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Mabden wrote:

>> > coward. Denigratenator. And such.

>> isn't this getting a tad personal?

>Well, I think that's my point. Every time (almost - don't invoke the KT
>corrector) I post a comment, I get a KT comment.

Perhaps thats because most of the time you post something that Keith
feels needs corrected, or is drivel, or is offtopic?

>OH!!! Only Americans are losing jobs to outsourcing! You don't by any
>chance run WindowsErie or Fenettre or WindowsChocolate do you???!

You really are an idiot aren't you?

*plonk*

(snip rest of diatribe)

--
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre

On 3 Oct 2005 22:39:40 GMT, in comp.lang.c , http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

>In article <dhrpak$79l$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>Newcastle and Bass are ales, not beers

>Ale is a kind of beer.

Er, no.
Next you'll be saying that lager is a kind of beer. And alcopops are
a kind of drink.

I'll get me coat.
--
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:13:09 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Mabden"
<mabden@sbc_global.net> wrote:

>"Keith Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> [...]
>> Maybe you could leave me alone. At least stop dragging my name into
>> your "humor".

>=====
>Keith, I don't drag you in - you butted in!

Newsflash: usenet is free for anyone to post - nobody is 'butting in'
by posting a comment to a thread. If you want private messaging, you
know where to find AOL.

>Please stop harassing me with negative comments.

First you need to stop posting offtopic remarks,
--
Mark McIntyre

Markus Becker

Mabden <mabden@sbc_global.net> schrieb:

> I'm Canadian. But the computer was invented in America, and the

No, it was not.

> languages created there. The program you are using right now was written

Exactly which languages were created in the USA?

>> away into a US only NG?

> I am in one. Why are YOU here?

Because it isn't.

Markus

Skarmander

Mabden wrote:
> "Chris Hills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rLkIx$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>
>>As far as I am concerned the USA is an Outsource country. This is an
>>International NG.

> I'm Canadian. But the computer was invented in America, and the
> languages created there.

<snip>

Babbage?

Turing?

Algol 60?

Never mind. I doubt you'd consider any of them relevant. Let's just say
we wouldn't be programming in C if it weren't for a lot of European dudes.

Not that it matters. Lots of things come from America, seeing that it's
rather big and successful. What of it? Does it make the NG "American"?

S.

Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 21:57:32 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Mabden"
<mabden@sbc_global.net> wrote:

>But the computer was invented in America,

No it wasn't! Crikey.

>and the languages created there.

Er, no actually.
(snip rest of foolish nonsense implying that America Invented
Everything. )

Still, at least Stalin invented the tractor.

>The server hosting your words is in America, although you probably have
>a local mirror.

Nope. It might be mirrored in the US mind you.

>The books sitting in your room are almost all written in America
>(dictionaries and legal books don't count).

A quick scan down my bookshelves shows
- minerals and rocks, written in prague
- the steam railways of britain, written in scarborough
- two shelves of travel books relating to UK travellers visiting
Europe, Asia, Wales, Cornwall and Scotland
- A shelf of guitar music, written by the beatles, stones, clapton,
t-rex etc.
- several books on caving in europe, mostly written by frenchmen for
some reason
-the collected works of william shakespeare, herodotus, julius caesar,
aristophanes and homer.
-Pevsners guides to England
-a collection of books about cricket.
-another collection about croquet

I'm doubtful that Aristophanes wrote much in the US.

>Name a piece of software you use that wasn't written in America (that
>you didn't write yourself or for work).

Nero. gcc. WinRAR. AVG.
And a big chunk of the rest of the s/w on my PC.

--
Mark McIntyre

Flash Gordon

Keith Thompson wrote:

<snip>

> "Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes:
> [...]
>
>>You need to realize that you are responding to my posts with negative
>>comments. You are the mostly the FIRST poster. Why can you not just wait

<snip>

> Consider the fact that none of the responses to your rant have
> supported your point of view. The relative lack of responses is
> probably due to two factors: most people are sick and tired of this
> whole thing, and most of the regulars have probably killfiled you, so
> they never saw what you wrote.

For the record, and to show that Keith is not alone in his opinion, I
have in general agreed with what I've read of Keith's responses to
Mabden's posts. Mabden is in my mental "ignore file" (I don't run kill
files) so I don't often respond to his rubbish. I also tend to ignore
direct follow ups to his posts.

> I'm done here. Feel free to have the last word.

Indeed. I will now go back to generally ignoring his posts and immediate
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.

Richard Heathfield

Mabden said:

> I'm Canadian. But the computer was invented in America,

Colossus: Bletchley Park, Buckinghamshire, England. Designed by Max Newman
(not John von Neumann!), an Englishman, and built by Tommy Flowers, an
Englishman, over a period of ten months, finally delivering it on 8 Dec
1943, over a year before ENIAC.

> The books sitting in your room are almost all written in America
> (dictionaries and legal books don't count).

Ignoring the dictionary, then, and focusing only on non-dictionary books
within easy reach of my desk, I count seven written in England, six written
in the USA, and two written in other European countries.

> Name a piece of software you use that wasn't written in America (that
> you didn't write yourself or for work).

Why are you excluding the software I use that I wrote myself? Most of the
software I use, I wrote myself. And the software I use that I did not write
myself (such as this newsreader) invariably makes me want to write my own
version.

>> You are in a world wide market. Perhaps I should stop answering
>> questions from the US as they are Job stealers? Or do you want to go
>> away into a US only NG?

> I am in one. Why are YOU here?

comp.lang.c is an international newsgroup, and many (although by no means
all) of its most valued contributors are from non-US countries - notably
England, Holland, and Switzerland.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/2005

Richard Bos

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2005 22:39:40 GMT, in comp.lang.c , (E-Mail Removed)
> (Richard Tobin) wrote:
>
> >Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
> >
> >>Newcastle and Bass are ales, not beers

> >Ale is a kind of beer.

> Er, no.
> Next you'll be saying that lager is a kind of beer.

Yes, and yes. Check your dictionary, mate. And visit Czechia. (No,
really. Do. You can't knock Pilsener until you've tasted it.)

Richard