Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > K&R Wishlist

K&R Wishlist

Default User

Keith Thompson wrote:

> "Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes:
> [...]
> > Maybe Keith, Thomp's son, could spend less time criticizing humor (a
> > topic he is less than apt at) and teach a college course on "Dead
> > Sea Linguistics" at a local Community College.

> Maybe you could leave me alone.

You mean you still haven't killfiled this twit? He's been in my "bozo
bin" since (consults the newsreader) 10/4/2004. Hey, it's almost our
anniversary!

Brian

Walter Roberson

In article <WIb0f.9093$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Mabden <mabden@sbc_global.net> wrote:
>"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
>> I doubt any of the posters or lurkers even knows
>> what my favorite kind of beer is.

>Newcastle on occasion. Generally Bass because it is available.

Newcastle and Bass are ales, not beers, so No, neither of those are
my favorite kind of beer. (I follow CAMRA's lead in this regard.)

Keith Thompson

"Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes:
[snip]

For now, I'm not going to comment on this thread; I'll leave it to
others to respond or just to ignore it. I might chime in later.

Keith Thompson

"Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Keith Thompson wrote:
>
>> "Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes:
>> [...]
>> > Maybe Keith, Thomp's son, could spend less time criticizing humor (a
>> > topic he is less than apt at) and teach a college course on "Dead
>> > Sea Linguistics" at a local Community College.

>> Maybe you could leave me alone.

> You mean you still haven't killfiled this twit? He's been in my "bozo
> bin" since (consults the newsreader) 10/4/2004. Hey, it's almost our
> anniversary!

I don't use a killfile, though I've sometimes considered it.

Keith Thompson wrote:

> "Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > You mean you still haven't killfiled this twit? He's been in my
> > "bozo bin" since (consults the newsreader) 10/4/2004. Hey, it's
> > almost our anniversary!

> I don't use a killfile, though I've sometimes considered it.

Then I suggest ignoring him rather than falling for his trolling
attempts.

Brian

Richard Tobin

In article <dhrpak$79l$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

>Newcastle and Bass are ales, not beers

Ale is a kind of beer.

-- Richard

Michael Mair

Richard Tobin wrote:
> In article <dhrpak$79l$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
>

>>Newcastle and Bass are ales, not beers

> Ale is a kind of beer.

Hmmm, I thought that ale is an affliction...
as in "what ales you"...

SCNR
Michael

Zara

On 3 Oct 2005 22:39:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Tobin)
wrote:

>In article <dhrpak$79l$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>Newcastle and Bass are ales, not beers

>Ale is a kind of beer.
>
>-- Richard

<OT>

The only kind of beer is the beer as in "free beer"

I have seen such things called beer, that I really doubt when I use
that name. I.e.

- stout (I feel this is beer)
- ale (same)
- lager (same)
- pilsen (same)
- weissbier/hefeweizen beer (I like it, but sometimes I doubt it is a
beer)
- non-alcoholic beer (definitely it is NOT a beer)
- double-triple fermented beer, abbey beer (it is more like a wine or
a liquor)
-etc

So, let's not discuss about what is beer and what is not, given that
any "free beer" is a "beer"

</OT>

Chris Hills

In article <Vu70f.169$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mabden
<mabden@sbc_global.net> writes
>Keith, I don't drag you in - you butted in! This forum is just a Q & A
>session amongst friends. Stop trying to control the content of
>professional C programmers, while promoting answering homework questions
>from Outsource countries.

As far as I am concerned the USA is an Outsource country. This is an
International NG. Besides who helped you when you were learning?

>Some of us are in dire straits and you are
>yelling about humor while helping someone else steal my job!

You are in a world wide market. Perhaps I should stop answering
questions from the US as they are Job stealers? Or do you want to go
away into a US only NG?

> You are too
>sensitive, and too controlling. You are wrong and you are anal.

Well that could be said of you too.

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Keith Thompson

Ok, I'm going to respond to this briefly. This is almost entirely
off-topic, so everyone is encouraged to ignore this if they choose.
(I considered either replying by e-mail or ignoring it, and perhaps I
should have.)

"Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes:
[...]
> You need to realize that you are responding to my posts with negative
> comments. You are the mostly the FIRST poster. Why can you not just wait
> a day or three, and let others post first. I am not writing personal
> messages to you on the newsgroup. It's OK to ignore ones you don't like.
> Let some others post before you chime in and "poison the well" with your
> negative comments, please.

Yes, I'm well aware that I'm responding to your posts with "negative
comments". I've done so only when I think it's appropriate. If
something you write calls for a response, it shouldn't matter who
responds. I see no reason to wait for someone else to chime in.

If you post something that's technically inaccurate, I'll post a
correction if somebody else doesn't beat me to it. When you recently
posted a followup that I felt was extremely rude, and that didn't add
anything to the discussion, I responded because I didn't want to
reinforce the perception that this is a hostile newsgroup. When you
posted a flurry of silly followups in one day, most or all of which
were entirely off-topic, I called you on it; discussions of topicality
are traditionally considered topical. When you rudely dragged my
name, or a variant of it, into an otherwise irrelevant discussion, I
asked you to stop.

After this, if I respond to anything you write it will only be for the
benefit of others, probably to correct errors. You've made it clear
that you're not willing to accept criticism, so I won't bother. I'll
ask you one last time not to drag my name, or variants of it, into
irrelevant discussions.

Consider the fact that none of the responses to your rant have
supported your point of view. The relative lack of responses is
probably due to two factors: most people are sick and tired of this
whole thing, and most of the regulars have probably killfiled you, so
they never saw what you wrote.

I'm done here. Feel free to have the last word.