Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > MCSD Insights or What I learned on the way to MCSD.NET Cert land....

MCSD Insights or What I learned on the way to MCSD.NET Cert land....

charlie

Hi Folks,

I just completed my last MCSD exam - 70-300. (It does not give you a score
just Pass/Fail)

I don't intend to give away any secret questions just give my perspective
and
some general overall study areas to help you in your quest.

Here's what I recommend.

For MCSD study the SQL design stuff before taking the 305, 306 & 310
(this is the same for the C# track) because they all ask about SQL, data
adapters,
and ole db stuff. I consider myself fortunate because I took the MCSE-W2k
certs
first and already knew the SQL. Know the M$ method of displaying ORM as is
done
in VISIO and how to normalize and when to de-normalize for a physical
design.

The test format of the 70-300 was along the same lines as the MCSE exam
Designing W2k Directory Services Infrastructure (219) all scenario based, I
had three different
ones, but not nearly as difficult. The scenarios were mostly about upgrading
an existing business
situation using old technology to newer Web based (i.e. web services from
terminal, SQL from DB2
and how to connect the old with the new, etc...)

The 305, 306 & 310 for the most part stuck to what their names imply however
SQL & XML
were spread through out.

I did a LOT of studying and I also went to a boot camp for each of them. I
found one
that let me get them all, MCSE/MCDBA & MCSD, for the price of one. I could
do this
because they have a continuing education policy that permits me to take any
courses
that they offer for just the cost of room, board and transportation for up
to a year.
If you did the up front work it was a great learning experience.

I also made some really great contacts because all of my classmates had
been working
in this field for at least ten years. Oh, yeah, by the way, they pre-screen
you so
that you know what you are doing BEFORE you get there and won't hold up
everybody else.

I mention the boot camp because both C# & VB.NET tracks were taught at the
same time in
the same classroom and since I already knew C++ and VB.NET, I couldn't see
much difference
other than syntax. I know that's what Microsoft has been saying all along! -
I didn't
believe them, now I do. Sooooo, if you know C++ go w/ C#. VB.NET is a lot
different
from Visual Basic so be prepared by studying VB.NET before hand.

Know web apps, web services and forms security. Really know what's in the
app.exe.config file

I hope that this helps and I wish you well on you future exams.

Sincerely,

Charlie

Bill Hileman

charlie wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I just completed my last MCSD exam - 70-300. (It does not give you a
> score just Pass/Fail)

<snip>

> I did a LOT of studying and I also went to a boot camp for each of
> them. I found one
> that let me get them all, MCSE/MCDBA & MCSD, for the price of one. I
> could do this
> because they have a continuing education policy that permits me to
> take any courses
> that they offer for just the cost of room, board and transportation
> for up to a year.

I respect the fact that you do not appear to be spamming, as you have not
mentioned the boot camp's name. However, this policy does appear attractive
to me, along with the pre-screen part (also snipped). I find that hard to
believe - that a bootcamp would actually turn away business, but if it's
true, it's a good idea.

If you don't mind my asking (and you can reply privately if you wish), how
much was it for the three certs, and which training company was it?

How much was it for the cost of travel, accomodations, etc., for the extra
certs you got?

Congrats, by the way.

charlie

Hi Bill,

I'm not spamming, I just finished the course this weekend and passed the
last test 70-300.
And so I am VERY HAPPY!!!!
For the first course they cover all costs (airfare, food, motel)

I liked the idea of having to be prepared before you go. That helped
convince me that I would actually learn
something rather than just test answers. I make a living doing this stuff
and a cert without substance is
worthless but eight months of study and no cert is just a bad.

They will refuse those that are not ready because it screws up the training
for the others and it is fast moving...

Charlie

"Bill Hileman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uwHMY4x%(E-Mail Removed)...
> charlie wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I just completed my last MCSD exam - 70-300. (It does not give you a
> > score just Pass/Fail)

> <snip>
>
> > I did a LOT of studying and I also went to a boot camp for each of
> > them. I found one
> > that let me get them all, MCSE/MCDBA & MCSD, for the price of one. I
> > could do this
> > because they have a continuing education policy that permits me to
> > take any courses
> > that they offer for just the cost of room, board and transportation
> > for up to a year.

> I respect the fact that you do not appear to be spamming, as you have not
> mentioned the boot camp's name. However, this policy does appear

attractive
> to me, along with the pre-screen part (also snipped). I find that hard to
> believe - that a bootcamp would actually turn away business, but if it's
> true, it's a good idea.
>
> If you don't mind my asking (and you can reply privately if you wish), how
> much was it for the three certs, and which training company was it?
>
> How much was it for the cost of travel, accomodations, etc., for the extra
> certs you got?
>
> Congrats, by the way.

Eric

Bill Hileman wrote:

> charlie wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I just completed my last MCSD exam - 70-300. (It does not give you a
> > score just Pass/Fail)

> <snip>
>
> > I did a LOT of studying and I also went to a boot camp for each of
> > them. I found one
> > that let me get them all, MCSE/MCDBA & MCSD, for the price of one. I
> > could do this
> > because they have a continuing education policy that permits me to
> > take any courses
> > that they offer for just the cost of room, board and transportation
> > for up to a year.

> I respect the fact that you do not appear to be spamming, as you have
> not mentioned the boot camp's name. However, this policy does appear
> attractive to me, along with the pre-screen part (also snipped). I
> find that hard to believe - that a bootcamp would actually turn away
> business, but if it's true, it's a good idea.
>
> If you don't mind my asking (and you can reply privately if you
> wish), how much was it for the three certs, and which training
> company was it?
>
> How much was it for the cost of travel, accomodations, etc., for the
> extra certs you got?
>
> Congrats, by the way.

I also like the idea of prescreening! That school might just be OK. You
can't expect to take somebody with no background all the way through
certification in a couple weeks unless you do some kind of prescreening.

It's probably a good idea to tell people the name of the place. I'm
assuming you won't get kick-backs for recommending them.

charlie

Hi Eric,

I got into the classes because I already had my MCSE+I for NT4.0
and had been pushing code for may moons...

I was concerned about getting wacked for mentioning the school
because people would assume that I was in "cahoots" with them.

I am not.

I just finished my MCSD this past weekend and was
very happy to get the cert and also very pleased
with the school

I called lots of places and none of them did like this one.

I'll take a chance and give its name here. I am sorry if
anyone takes it as spamming, but if I can help you I
am happy. Besides if I am lying or putting you on
one phone call will easily expose that.

This shows the courses
http://www.it-centers.com/2/

I wish all of you well.

charlie

charlie wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I got into the classes because I already had my MCSE+I for NT4.0
> and had been pushing code for may moons...
>
> I was concerned about getting wacked for mentioning the school
> because people would assume that I was in "cahoots" with them.
>
> I am not.

I can personally vouch for charlie... he did privately e-mail me with the
name of the school. I know where you're coming from and appreciate your
caution. Many people are dead-set against bootcamps, but I'm not one of
them. I am against bootcamps whose sole purpose is to get someone
certified, no matter their previous experience or aptitude, but this
particular trainer does not appear to be of that type. In just my own
humble opinion, bootcamps do have their place, just not the ones out for a
quick buck on someone else's misguided dream(s).

--
Bill Hileman, MCP, CPD, BCIP
Programmer/Analyst, DASI

PROGRAM n. A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's
input into error messages. tr.v. To engage in a pastime similar to banging
one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Yahoo! Group for Certaholics

Jason Newell

Well, since he mentioned the name of the school, I'll stand up and say that
I've been to an IT-Centers boot camp and he is exactly right. My opinion is
they are the best in the bootcamp biz. I was blown away at their
professionalism. All they ask is that you trust them and everything will
work out. It's a tough boot camp, but well work the money.

My .02.

Jason Newell (Not associated with IT-Centers)

"Bill Hileman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#x#sd99#(E-Mail Removed)...
> charlie wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > I got into the classes because I already had my MCSE+I for NT4.0
> > and had been pushing code for may moons...
> >
> > I was concerned about getting wacked for mentioning the school
> > because people would assume that I was in "cahoots" with them.
> >
> > I am not.

> I can personally vouch for charlie... he did privately e-mail me with the
> name of the school. I know where you're coming from and appreciate your
> caution. Many people are dead-set against bootcamps, but I'm not one of
> them. I am against bootcamps whose sole purpose is to get someone
> certified, no matter their previous experience or aptitude, but this
> particular trainer does not appear to be of that type. In just my own
> humble opinion, bootcamps do have their place, just not the ones out for a
> quick buck on someone else's misguided dream(s).
>

> --
> Bill Hileman, MCP, CPD, BCIP
> Programmer/Analyst, DASI
>
> PROGRAM n. A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's
> input into error messages. tr.v. To engage in a pastime similar to banging
> one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
>
> Yahoo! Group for Certaholics

>Many people are dead-set against bootcamps, but I'm not one of
>them. I am against bootcamps whose sole purpose is to get someone
>certified, no matter their previous experience or aptitude

The problem I see is that certification's can be bought, without, as
you say, 'previous experience or aptitude'. And from what we see day
in day out, there are plenty of companies prepared to just that.

Until the format of the exams change to include at least some kind of
practical element, those companies will continue to rack in the
dollars and the worth of the cert's will continue to decline

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

JaR

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere opined, On 2/26/04 12:47 PM:
> Until the format of the exams change to include at least some kind of
> practical element, those companies will continue to rack in the
> dollars and the worth of the cert's will continue to decline

Being as how HR droids are now 'requiring' them for Hell-desk jobs.

The only way the value of the certs could crawl any lower will be when
it is 'required' to collect unemployment.

JaR
Thug # $.02

>Being as how HR droids are now 'requiring' them for Hell-desk jobs.
>
>The only way the value of the certs could crawl any lower will be when
>it is 'required' to collect unemployment.

Good point.... Watch out cobol & wong, no welfare for you soon.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3