Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Useful libraries in ISO C

Useful libraries in ISO C

Malcolm

"Sensei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> A survey for students. I'd like them to focus on their tasks and not on
> something complementary like lists or trees, or hashes, or anything.

The problem with C is that the simpler data structures (linked lists,
queues, basic trees, stacks etc) are easier to code from scratch than to use
from a library.

I've got a hash table and red-black tree I can send you, however.

Sensei

On 2005-09-18 11:25:45 +0200, "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> "Sensei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>
>> A survey for students. I'd like them to focus on their tasks and not on
>> something complementary like lists or trees, or hashes, or anything.
>>

> The problem with C is that the simpler data structures (linked lists,
> queues, basic trees, stacks etc) are easier to code from scratch than
> to use from a library.
>
> I've got a hash table and red-black tree I can send you, however.

Thank you anyway. I really like the spirit of STL, that's useful for
small projects when you have to use something without wasting time on
things you do already know.

Think about numerical recipes. Students can concentrate on other
aspects rather than reimplement another gaussian elimination...

Some kind of wiki... probably would help... I will think about it.

--
Sensei <(E-Mail Removed)>

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its
limits. (A. Einstein)

Joe Wright

Sensei wrote:
> On 2005-09-14 14:00:49 +0200, "Alexei A. Frounze" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Sensei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dg8j5u$9b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I'm looking for useful libraries that are strictly ISO C.

>> If you mean standard libraries, there're no such thing in the standard
>> C library.
>> If you mean the code itself being OK in terms of the ISO/ANSI C
>> standard, then it's a different thing, there may be such libraries.

> I was thinking about something like boost for C...
>

>> Google or write them yourself. If you want to write them, then get
>> books by Knuth or Sedgewick to get some ideas on how the various data
>> structures can be made and for what purposes they should be used.

> My question is about ISO C, many libraries exist, even GNU libs but it's
> not guaranteed that they are ISO C.

That's the beauty of GNU, you don't need the guarantee.

--
Joe Wright
--- Albert Einstein ---

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe Wright
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Sensei wrote:
>> On 2005-09-14 14:00:49 +0200, "Alexei A. Frounze" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> "Sensei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:dg8j5u$9b0$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If you mean standard libraries, there're no such thing in the standard
>>> C library.
>>> If you mean the code itself being OK in terms of the ISO/ANSI C
>>> standard, then it's a different thing, there may be such libraries.

>> I was thinking about something like boost for C...
>>

>>> Google or write them yourself. If you want to write them, then get
>>> books by Knuth or Sedgewick to get some ideas on how the various data
>>> structures can be made and for what purposes they should be used.

>> My question is about ISO C, many libraries exist, even GNU libs but it's
>> not guaranteed that they are ISO C.
>>

>That's the beauty of GNU, you don't need the guarantee.

why not ?

/\/\/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Sensei

On 2005-09-20 08:46:50 +0200, Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> That's the beauty of GNU, you don't need the guarantee.

> why not ?

Provided as-it-is, no guarantee of any kind.

--
Sensei <(E-Mail Removed)>

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its
limits. (A. Einstein)

Chris Hills

In article <dgohfc$3o6$(E-Mail Removed)>, Sensei <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>On 2005-09-20 08:46:50 +0200, Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>>> That's the beauty of GNU, you don't need the guarantee.

>> why not ?

>Provided as-it-is, no guarantee of any kind.

How is that helpful?

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Rob Thorpe

Sensei wrote:
> On 2005-09-18 11:25:45 +0200, "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > "Sensei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >>
> >> A survey for students. I'd like them to focus on their tasks and not on
> >> something complementary like lists or trees, or hashes, or anything.
> >>

> > The problem with C is that the simpler data structures (linked lists,
> > queues, basic trees, stacks etc) are easier to code from scratch than
> > to use from a library.
> >
> > I've got a hash table and red-black tree I can send you, however.
> >

> Thank you anyway. I really like the spirit of STL, that's useful for
> small projects when you have to use something without wasting time on
> things you do already know.
>
> Think about numerical recipes. Students can concentrate on other
> aspects rather than reimplement another gaussian elimination...
>
> Some kind of wiki... probably would help... I will think about it.

Check out GTK+ glib - I think this is ANSI C, not completely sure. Not
sure how good it is either.

Also look at CBFalconer's hash library, and Paul Hsieh's hash library
(not sure if that one is completely ANSI C).

Joe Wright

Chris Hills wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe Wright
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>>Sensei wrote:

>>>I was thinking about something like boost for C...

>>>My question is about ISO C, many libraries exist, even GNU libs but it's
>>>not guaranteed that they are ISO C.
>>>

>>That's the beauty of GNU, you don't need the guarantee.

> why not ?

Because you have the sources. If the GNU code is not sufficiently ISO
for you, you can modify it to taste. That's the whole point.

A guarantee promises your money back or something if not satisfied.
You'd have to pay RMS and the FSF for emacs or something. Can't do it.
They can point you to it but they won't sell it to you. It's free.
Guarantees do not apply.
--
Joe Wright
--- Albert Einstein ---

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe Wright
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Chris Hills wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe Wright
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>>That's the beauty of GNU, you don't need the guarantee.

>> why not ?
>>

>Because you have the sources. If the GNU code is not sufficiently ISO
>for you, you can modify it to taste. That's the whole point.

and you are completely liable for all of it....

I have done support for a compiler and 19 times out of 20 when a
"compiler bug" was found it turned out the compiler was correct and the
person who found the bug was wrong. SO 19 out of 20 "fixes" will in fact
make things worse.

>A guarantee promises your money back or something if not satisfied.

IANAL
It also has fitness for purpose. It means that the tool producer is
taking some of the liability. When you use open source YOU are taking
the responsibility (and the liability). I f you ship something that has
a bug that causes an accident they will send the lawyer to you....

If you "saved money" by using open source YOU will have to prove how
you tested it was fit for purpose etc.

With a commercial tool you buy where you can't edit the source you have
reasonable grounds to expect it will work as advertised.

Like it or not you are in the software business and it is a business
like any other. Liability and responsibility for things still applies

IF a surgeon used "open source" and home made equipment in the OR and
it went wrong you would scream blue murder. If he used commercial
equipment from a medical equipment company and it went wrong you would
go after that company.

Commercial tools are (usually) well tested and checked. Often certified
etc. SO unless you are going to test and certify the actual Open source
system you are using you are asking for trouble.

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Marian Vittek

Sensei wrote:
> On 2005-09-18 11:25:45 +0200, "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > "Sensei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >>
> >> A survey for students. I'd like them to focus on their tasks and not on
> >> something complementary like lists or trees, or hashes, or anything.
> >>

> > The problem with C is that the simpler data structures (linked lists,
> > queues, basic trees, stacks etc) are easier to code from scratch than
> > to use from a library.
> >
> > I've got a hash table and red-black tree I can send you, however.
> >

> Thank you anyway. I really like the spirit of STL, that's useful for
> small projects when you have to use something without wasting time on
> things you do already know.

Check our generic sglib at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sglib
freely inspired by STL. It is still very simple, yet providing lists,
double linked lists, sorted lists, implements generic sorting
algorithms on arrays, red-black trees, etc. You may like it.

Marian