Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Why doesn't strrstr() exist?

Why doesn't strrstr() exist?

Douglas A. Gwyn

Chris Torek wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >In any event, I have *studied* coroutines in university, and can
> >revisit them in far more mainstream languages like Python and Lua. My
> >understanding of them is not the point (I think I do -- or at least the
> >"one shot continuation" kind) my point is they should probably be part
> >of the C standard.

> They make a substantial change to the language, in that one must
> "wrap up" function state that is, in typical implementations,
> destroyed simply by the act of returning from the function. In
> particular, one must abandon the idea of a simple linear stack on
> which function activation-records are stored. I doubt any one
> single entity, no matter how politically or economically powerful,
> could push such a change through a future C standard. Perhaps a
> group of entities (forming a voting bloc) could do this.

As you say, linguistic support would involve substantial changes,
for relatively minuscule benefit. I'd suggest instead, devising
a platform-independent API for a coroutine library, implementation
of which would necessarily require platform-dependent code if the
coroutines themselves are to be coded as extended C functions.
If such a library worked out well enough, it could be a candidate
for standardization, or at any rate it would be likely to be
widely distributed as are many libraries these days.