Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > PC-Lint

PC-Lint

Tom

I've been using Gimpels PC-Lint static analysis tool (which seems to be
extremely good value for money) but I've come up against a couple of
problems, although the second is more of a wondering...

1) I'm trying to integrate Lint with the IAR ARM compiler and it will
successfully summon Lint but lint itself either reports "failure to open
module c:\Lint" (with the initial directory set to the current one) or it
says "failure to open module std.lnt" if I remove the -i"C:\Lint" argument.
I suspect this is because the path to C:\lint is not properly working but
I'm using XP and I haven't worked out how to set paths because they don't
seem to work like the good old days of win98. Or perhaps it's something else
entirely. It does work when I invoke Lint from the Keil uVision compiler.

2) Does anyone have an optimised Lint configuration that they feel gives the
right amount of important warnings but ignores the less important ones? I
realise that this is pretty subjective but I'd welcome peoples' opinions.
The code to verify will be part of the display system of an industrial
control unit but is not particularly safety critical, although it does
interface with a system that is.

Michael Mair

Off-topic. As I am posting from clc -> f'up2clc

Tom wrote:
> I've been using Gimpels PC-Lint static analysis tool (which seems to be
> extremely good value for money) but I've come up against a couple of
> problems, although the second is more of a wondering...
>
> 1) I'm trying to integrate Lint with the IAR ARM compiler and it will
> successfully summon Lint but lint itself either reports "failure to open
> module c:\Lint" (with the initial directory set to the current one) or it
> says "failure to open module std.lnt" if I remove the -i"C:\Lint" argument.
> I suspect this is because the path to C:\lint is not properly working but
> I'm using XP and I haven't worked out how to set paths because they don't
> seem to work like the good old days of win98. Or perhaps it's something else
> entirely. It does work when I invoke Lint from the Keil uVision compiler.

This is off-topic, in comp.lang.c++ _and_ comp.lang.c.
Try to ask somewhere where your compiler or PC-Lint is on-topic.

> 2) Does anyone have an optimised Lint configuration that they feel gives the
> right amount of important warnings but ignores the less important ones? I
> realise that this is pretty subjective but I'd welcome peoples' opinions.
> The code to verify will be part of the display system of an industrial
> control unit but is not particularly safety critical, although it does
> interface with a system that is.

Start out with the full paranoia and cut down the unbearable:
If in doubt about some rule, see the FAQ of a newsgroup where the
respective language is on-topic. If you do not find information
there, have a look at the archives. Then post your question and
enjoy the information gathered from the ensuing discussion.

In the case of C++, have a look at the clc++ FAQ concerning
coding standards.

Cheers
Michael