Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > New Horizon?

New Horizon?

rick_gocougs

Hello MCAD & MCSD Allum,

I would like to finish my MCAD as soon as possible
so I have been considering forking over $3000+
for classroom training by New Horizons.

Does anyone have experience with these guys in MCAD
or MCSD training? Is it worth it? Do they meet the
expectation (ie. fairly sure you can pass after the
classes)?

Do they actually tech the material or just pound
test answers into your brain?

Sincerely,
Rick

Brunswick Lowe

I couldn't be more pleased. I took the whole series of .net classes, and
I've learned a ton. They really do teach you how to think like a developer.
They seem to be genuinely concerned with your success - even after they
have your money.

That being said, they don't just teach to the test. You have to fill in some
blanks on your own. Taking their classes doesn't automatically prepare you
for the test. The tests cover plenty of the material that wasn't part of the
curriculum, but that's more an issue with Microsoft's curriculum and tests.
See the skills being tested page at www.microsoft.com/traincert to determine
what's tested vs. what's covered.

My instructors were excellent. Helpful, patient and approachable. Consider
this: New Horizons trains so many corporate clients that have no interest in
having their developers take tests; they want their developers to be good
developers. They'd be out of business if it was a braindumping bootcamp. My
classes were a mix of career changers, hobbyists, and experienced top-gun
developers. Everyone walked away having learned something.
"rick_gocougs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:10db201c3f526$97461220$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello MCAD & MCSD Allum,
>
> I would like to finish my MCAD as soon as possible
> so I have been considering forking over $3000+
> for classroom training by New Horizons.
>
> Does anyone have experience with these guys in MCAD
> or MCSD training? Is it worth it? Do they meet the
> expectation (ie. fairly sure you can pass after the
> classes)?
>
> Do they actually tech the material or just pound
> test answers into your brain?
>
> Sincerely,
> Rick

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

They teach the Microsoft classes. If you learn well in classes, you will
learn a lot of material that is helpful even outside the test. They do not
pound answers into your head.

Much of the class is lab exercises. I would still take sample tests prior to
the real one, to gauge where you are.

My experience: Some classroom teachers at places like New Horizons are
great, others follow the MS material to the nines. You get something out of
both, but the great teachers really make it come alive. In either case, you
will get the core, which will get you far into the MS view of the .NET
world, which is necessary to pass.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"rick_gocougs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:10db201c3f526$97461220$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello MCAD & MCSD Allum,
>
> I would like to finish my MCAD as soon as possible
> so I have been considering forking over $3000+
> for classroom training by New Horizons.
>
> Does anyone have experience with these guys in MCAD
> or MCSD training? Is it worth it? Do they meet the
> expectation (ie. fairly sure you can pass after the
> classes)?
>
> Do they actually tech the material or just pound
> test answers into your brain?
>
> Sincerely,
> Rick

RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

Ask to see if you could Audit a class for a day. This way you can see
exactly what happens, and get a feel for what they do. I believe that
they'll do that for no charge, no obligation.

--
RL (Try it, you'll like it!) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
NorthEast Ohio