Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Is an address change possible by "deconstify/const_cast"?

Is an address change possible by "deconstify/const_cast"?

Martin Ambuhl

> How do you think about this code example?

*What* I think about your C++ code example is that it ought not be
posted to comp.lang.c. Please pay attention to what you are doing.
Follow-ups set.

CBFalconer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > You don't show us an implementation of the deconstify1() function.
> > (I think it was in a previous article, but I'm too lazy to go
> > looking for it.)

> How do you think about this code example?

Very little.

> struct context
> {
> long key;
> char const * name1;
> string const * name2;

You haven't defined 'string'.

> } ctx;
>
> char* X = (char*) malloc(5);

You should NEVER cast the return from malloc. Where did the magic
number '5' come from?

> if (X)
> {
> strcpy(X, "Test");
> ctx.name1 = X;
> ctx.name2 = new string("check");

'new' is a syntax error. This is c.l.c, not c.l.c++.

> /* Treat it as a constant after the initial assignment */
> if (ctx.name2)
> {
> ctx.key = rand();
> printf("%li: %s", ctx.key, ctx.name1);
> cout << *ctx.name2;

You haven't defined cout. Why do you want to left shift it?
*ctx.name2 is not a suitable argument anyhow.

> {
> string* alias1 = const_cast<string*>(ctx.name2);

More syntax errors. Again, this is c.l.c.

.... snip remainder. F'ups set. c.l.c / c.l.c++ crossposts are
pure foolishness.