Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Time command

Time command

chellappa

hi
In Linux , we have time commend
i want to check ruuning time of program , just use this time command
$time ./a.out

it display

real 0m0.928s
user 0m0.062s
sys 0m0.079s

What is real , user ,sys time ?
Please explain me ....
by
chells

Suman

chellappa wrote:
> hi
> In Linux , we have time commend
> i want to check ruuning time of program , just use this time command
> $time ./a.out
>
> it display
>
> real 0m0.928s
> user 0m0.062s
> sys 0m0.079s
>
> What is real , user ,sys time ?
> Please explain me ....
> by
> chells

Go to a proper newsgroup. Google.

<OT>
Read the man page for time, something like man time should work.
</OT>

=?iso-8859-1?q?Asbj=F8rn_S=E6b=F8?=

"chellappa" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> hi
> In Linux , we have time commend
> [...]

> What is real , user ,sys time ?
> Please explain me ....

The manual page ("man time") will probably be helpful.

Asbj.S.
--
Asbjørn Sæbø, post.doc.
Centre for Quantifiable Quality of Service in Communication Systems

Keith Thompson

"chellappa" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In Linux , we have time commend
> i want to check ruuning time of program , just use this time command
> $time ./a.out
>
> it display
>
> real 0m0.928s
> user 0m0.062s
> sys 0m0.079s
>
> What is real , user ,sys time ?

This is not a C question. If "man time" doesn't give you enough
information, try asking in comp.os.linux.questions.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
chellappa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>hi
>In Linux , we have time commend
>i want to check ruuning time of program , just use this time command
>$time ./a.out
>
>it display
>
>real 0m0.928s
>user 0m0.062s
>sys 0m0.079s
>
>What is real , user ,sys time ?
>Please explain me ....

I don't think anyone could explain you. You're just a fact of nature.

Chris Dollin

chellappa wrote:

> hi
> In Linux , we have time commend

.... which is off-topic in comp.lang.c ...

> i want to check ruuning time of program , just use this time command
> $time ./a.out
>
> it display
>
> real 0m0.928s
> user 0m0.062s
> sys 0m0.079s
>
> What is real , user ,sys time ?

In Linux, we have `man` command for documenting commands (and
other things).

Don't you have anyone local you can work with for this sort
of thing? Face-to-face or class interaction is *much* more
effective than Usenet drip-feeds.

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
It's called *extreme* programming, not *stupid* programming.