Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Historical variable place

Historical variable place

Sensei

Hi. I was wondering about the first C.

Once, I knew that all the variables were to be as the first part of a
block of code.

Anyone can point me to some historical steps of C (with a timeline if
possible...)?

Artie Gold

Sensei wrote:
> Hi. I was wondering about the first C.
>
> Once, I knew that all the variables were to be as the first part of a
> block of code.
>
> Anyone can point me to some historical steps of C (with a timeline if
> possible...)?

GIYF! (Try 'history of C language')

HTH,
--ag

--
Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas
http://www.cafepress.com/goldsays

Sensei

Artie Gold wrote:
> GIYF! (Try 'history of C language')

Sorry, but I couldn't find what I wanted... that's why I posted here

I'm interested in the place where variables were meant to be in early C,
and of course, its relation with assembly code...

Chris Dollin

Sensei wrote:

> Artie Gold wrote:
>> GIYF! (Try 'history of C language')

> Sorry, but I couldn't find what I wanted... that's why I posted here
>
> I'm interested in the place where variables were meant to be in early C,
> and of course, its relation with assembly code...

C grew from B which grew from BCPL; any relationship with assembly
seems rather indirect.

BCPL allows variable declarations at the head of blocks (onlyish),
as C90 does.

BCPL also has mutually recursive definitions without need for
any kind of `forward` declaration, as C does not.

[And it has the "global vector", which fortunately didn't survive
the journey.]

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
It's called *extreme* programming, not *stupid* programming.

Event on historical place mmyvusenet Digital Photography 10 10-20-2010 03:18 AM
Cisco Custom Historical Report for Cisco Customer Response Applications Scott.Emick@gmail.com Cisco 0 01-17-2006 05:34 PM
Historical DVD's? D Garber DVD Video 1 03-06-2005 10:33 AM
Historical Significant Internet Communications Technology:PSTN quality NextGen TCP/IP laconsults@aol.com VOIP 0 02-06-2005 01:10 PM
Historical Data philippon Java 2 10-15-2004 10:54 PM

Advertisments