Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > How long it will take?

How long it will take?

Albert

Hi,

I know it varies from person to person based on available time and
intelligence. But on an average how long it will take to complete MCSD if
someone spend 3 to 4 hrs per day?

Regards,
Albert.

Take the practice exams and to see where you are.

"Albert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvvoqk$8m4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I know it varies from person to person based on available time and
> intelligence. But on an average how long it will take to complete MCSD if
> someone spend 3 to 4 hrs per day?
>
> Regards,
> Albert.

UAError

"Albert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I know it varies from person to person based on available time and
>intelligence. But on an average how long it will take to complete MCSD if
>someone spend 3 to 4 hrs per day?
>
>Regards,
>Albert.

Are you sure you work with computers? Usually you have to supply some
relevant information to get relevant information.

Just kidding!

But based on the information you offered 3 weeks - 12 months+.

Now I'm assuming you are referring to the MSCD.NET. Bottom line:

There are 5 exams, each of them 2 to 3 hours.

You can finish those if you know your stuff in 2 - 3 weeks. Knowing you're stuff includes
(C# with SQL Server)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/ex...229.asp#SKILLS
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/ex...315.asp#SKILLS
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/ex...316.asp#SKILLS
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/ex...320.asp#SKILLS
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/ex...300.asp#SKILLS

As you can see this includes database work, architecture work and of
course development of WinForms, ASP.NET applications and
enterprise service components, including deployment, security,
globalization, debugging and so on.

For a more detailed breakdown see:

http://www.codeclinic.com/70-229skills.htm
http://www.codeclinic.com/70-315skills.htm
http://www.codeclinic.com/70-316skills.htm
http://www.codeclinic.com/70-320skills.htm
http://www.codeclinic.com/70-300skills.htm

If you have no clue about .NET (but have developed applications with
microsoft technology before):

Amit Kalani estimates that it will take approximately 1 month to
work through one of his books:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...037164-2087023

"To make sure that you get minimum hand-on experience needed f
or the exam, these books are thick at about 1200 pages each, and each
will take at minimum one month of study time to complete."

A reader of the ASP.NET (70-315) book confirms that it took him 150 hrs to get through it.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...me&start-at=21
"Amit's book is absolutely wonderful - very patient, very detailed and after a while you understand what is important and what is
not. I probably spent about 150 hours in total - 70% of that learning from this book."

Based on your 3-4 hours you are then looking at 2 Months for 315, 316, 320 each,
though some of the overlap between 315 and 316 might allow you to save some time
- time you should be spending with:

MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com

Microsoft ADO.NET (Core Reference)
by David Sceppa (Author), David Sceppa

and possibly one of

..NET Framework Security
by Brian A. LaMacchia, Sebastian Lange, Matthew Lyons, Rudi Martin, Kevin T. Price
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/067232184X

Security for Microsoft Visual Basic .NET (Never mind the Visual Basic)
by Michael J. Ed/Bond Robinson (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/067232184X

Now while it is possible to solely work with the SDK, but do yourself a favour and obtain a copy of VS.NET
as most literature makes that assumption and some questions may refer to debugging or deployment functionality
only available in VS.NET.

As far as 70-229 goes stick with the code clinic links and read the BOOKS ON-LINE (BOL) available here:

SQL Server 2000 Books Online (Updated - SP3)

you can practice with this:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) Release A

but 70-229 does cover tools and options only being available through the enterprise versions of SQL-Server
(SQL Analyzer being the one you'll most sorely miss - but then again you could build you're own version to
practice for your other exams).

So lets say you'll spend another 2 months on that.

That leaves 70-300. There is no StepByStep to Microsoft .NET Architectures. Leverage your MCAD to get some.
If you have some architecture experience:

MCSD .NET Solution Architectures Exam Cram 2 (Exam 70-300)
by Randy Cornish, Don Pavoni, Thomas Moore, Eric Rockenbach, Ed Tittel (Editor)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0789729296

together with many side-trips to the MSDN will help you to straighten things out in your head;
but it won't teach you things from the ground up.

So 5 exams, 2 months each - its unlikely you'll sustain 3-4 hours daily on top of you usual life
so make it 12 months.

Each exam costs US$125 (in North America and can be booked through):

Pearson Vue
http://www.vue.com/

Thomson Prometric
http://www.prometric.com/default.htm

Kumar Reddi

Oh man.. thats a huge information.. Though, I am not the one who requested.
But thts a great deal of information..

"UAError" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

could build you're own version to
> practice for your other exams).
>
> So lets say you'll spend another 2 months on that.
>
> That leaves 70-300. There is no StepByStep to Microsoft .NET

Architectures. Leverage your MCAD to get some.
> If you have some architecture experience:
>
> MCSD .NET Solution Architectures Exam Cram 2 (Exam 70-300)
> by Randy Cornish, Don Pavoni, Thomas Moore, Eric Rockenbach, Ed Tittel

(Editor)
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0789729296
>
> together with many side-trips to the MSDN will help you to straighten

things out in your head;
> but it won't teach you things from the ground up.
>
> So 5 exams, 2 months each - its unlikely you'll sustain 3-4 hours daily on

top of you usual life
> so make it 12 months.
>
> Each exam costs US$125 (in North America and can be booked through):

Oh man, That is whole lot of information. Thanks,

FYI, I do work with computers , haveing some experiance in .net, sql
server, c# and asp.net. I am planning to finish MCSD.NET by 2 months.

Thanks again,
Albert.