Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Tool to trace function calls

Tool to trace function calls

Thomas Glanzmann

Hello,
I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every 'call'
on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?

Thomas

Artie Gold

Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every 'call'
> on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?
>
> Thomas

As such things are inherently platform-specific, posting to a newsgroup
specific to your platform would be best; tools are not topical here.

HTH,
--ag
--
Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas
http://www.cafepress.com/goldsays

Grumble

Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

> I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every 'call'
> on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?

A call graph? man gprof

Morris Dovey

Thomas Glanzmann (in
(E-Mail Removed)...ni-erlangen.de) said:

| I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every
| 'call' on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?

Thomas...

Hmm. I wrote a small trace utility to trace calls to malloc() and
friends. It should be possible to use that as a model for code to
trace an arbitrary set of functions. If interested, you can find the
source at http://www.iedu.com/mrd/c/mtrace.c - have fun!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA