Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > how to make linux makefile work in visual c++?

how to make linux makefile work in visual c++?

chenqy2004@gmail.com

I used to code in unix. Now I need to run them in Visual C++. But I
don't know how to change the makefile so that it will work for visual
c++. Can anyone help me out?

Tim Prince

> I used to code in unix. Now I need to run them in Visual C++. But I
> don't know how to change the makefile so that it will work for visual
> c++. Can anyone help me out?

Use gnu make, fix up your .SUFFIXES and macros to correspond with VC++.
Some people even go so far as to put in a
mv $*.obj $*.o
step to avoid translating dependencies.
--
Tim Prince

chenqy2004@gmail.com

Thanks for your reply. I have never used gnu make before. Is there any
step by step instruction for a newbie like me?

Tim Prince

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I have never used gnu make before. Is there any
> step by step instruction for a newbie like me?

gnu make should pose no big surprises if you used make on Unix.
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html I suppose the most
popular one for Windows is included in cygwin
http://sourceware.redhat.com/cygwin/
Evidently, the defaults are set up Unix style, so you must over-ride.
--
Tim Prince

chenqy2004@gmail.com

I'll go for gmake. Thanks a lot.