Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network Diagnostic Tools

Wireless Network Diagnostic Tools

Charles Law

This is a follow on from another post, in which I am trying to find the
cause of a wireless network issue.

What tools would people recommend for diagnosing and configuring networks in
general, and wireless networks specifically?

The type of thing I am thinking of is a program that will allow one to
discover a network topology, and test that it is configured correctly. This
actually goes beyond my current wireless problem in that I have a network of
several computers, but when I try to access files on one of the others there
is always an initial delay (2 minutes perhaps) whilst the computers connect,
and I don't know what is causing it. If I browse to My Network Places and
drill down, I eventually see my domain name. When I click on it for the
first time it takes ages for the list of computers to appear and even longer
to get a list of available shares. In fact, the first time I get a message
that tells me there are no shares available. I can only get the list when I
have created a manual drive mapping first, and entered a user name and
password, which seems a bit back-to-front.

Anyway, I am wandering away from the point. I would like to be able to run
something that will analyse my network configuration and make
recommendations about changes I should make that will improve performance,
visibility and security. Does such a beast exist?

TIA

Charles

Jack

Hi

The diagnostic Tools that you need for Small Network are included in
Windows.

There is No Magic program that you can Run and it will tell what is wrong in
the Network. You have to learn to configure your Network Manually.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
Settings, and Sharing. http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Charles Law" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a follow on from another post, in which I am trying to find the
> cause of a wireless network issue.
>
> What tools would people recommend for diagnosing and configuring networks

in
> general, and wireless networks specifically?
>
> The type of thing I am thinking of is a program that will allow one to
> discover a network topology, and test that it is configured correctly.

This
> actually goes beyond my current wireless problem in that I have a network

of
> several computers, but when I try to access files on one of the others

there
> is always an initial delay (2 minutes perhaps) whilst the computers

connect,
> and I don't know what is causing it. If I browse to My Network Places and
> drill down, I eventually see my domain name. When I click on it for the
> first time it takes ages for the list of computers to appear and even

longer
> to get a list of available shares. In fact, the first time I get a message
> that tells me there are no shares available. I can only get the list when

> have created a manual drive mapping first, and entered a user name and
> password, which seems a bit back-to-front.
>
> Anyway, I am wandering away from the point. I would like to be able to run
> something that will analyse my network configuration and make
> recommendations about changes I should make that will improve performance,
> visibility and security. Does such a beast exist?
>
> TIA
>
> Charles

Charles Law

Hi Jack

Thanks for the useful link. Perhaps someone is missing a trick if there is
no program to help in these areas?

Charles

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> The diagnostic Tools that you need for Small Network are included in
> Windows.
>
> There is No Magic program that you can Run and it will tell what is wrong
> in
> the Network. You have to learn to configure your Network Manually.
>
> Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
> Settings, and Sharing. http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Charles Law" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is a follow on from another post, in which I am trying to find the
>> cause of a wireless network issue.
>>
>> What tools would people recommend for diagnosing and configuring networks

> in
>> general, and wireless networks specifically?
>>
>> The type of thing I am thinking of is a program that will allow one to
>> discover a network topology, and test that it is configured correctly.

> This
>> actually goes beyond my current wireless problem in that I have a network

> of
>> several computers, but when I try to access files on one of the others

> there
>> is always an initial delay (2 minutes perhaps) whilst the computers

> connect,
>> and I don't know what is causing it. If I browse to My Network Places and
>> drill down, I eventually see my domain name. When I click on it for the
>> first time it takes ages for the list of computers to appear and even

> longer
>> to get a list of available shares. In fact, the first time I get a
>> message
>> that tells me there are no shares available. I can only get the list when

>> have created a manual drive mapping first, and entered a user name and
>> password, which seems a bit back-to-front.
>>
>> Anyway, I am wandering away from the point. I would like to be able to
>> run
>> something that will analyse my network configuration and make
>> recommendations about changes I should make that will improve
>> performance,
>> visibility and security. Does such a beast exist?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Charles

Display Name Here

You already have
"Command Prompt - ping & ipconfig"

you can google for:
"Angry IP Scanner"
"Network Stumbler"

"Charles Law" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jack
>
> Thanks for the useful link. Perhaps someone is missing a trick if there is
> no program to help in these areas?
>
> Charles
>

> "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > The diagnostic Tools that you need for Small Network are included in
> > Windows.
> >
> > There is No Magic program that you can Run and it will tell what is

wrong
> > in
> > the Network. You have to learn to configure your Network Manually.
> >
> > Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows

Network
> > Settings, and Sharing. http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Charles Law" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> This is a follow on from another post, in which I am trying to find the
> >> cause of a wireless network issue.
> >>
> >> What tools would people recommend for diagnosing and configuring

networks
> > in
> >> general, and wireless networks specifically?
> >>
> >> The type of thing I am thinking of is a program that will allow one to
> >> discover a network topology, and test that it is configured correctly.

> > This
> >> actually goes beyond my current wireless problem in that I have a

network
> > of
> >> several computers, but when I try to access files on one of the others

> > there
> >> is always an initial delay (2 minutes perhaps) whilst the computers

> > connect,
> >> and I don't know what is causing it. If I browse to My Network Places

and
> >> drill down, I eventually see my domain name. When I click on it for the
> >> first time it takes ages for the list of computers to appear and even

> > longer
> >> to get a list of available shares. In fact, the first time I get a
> >> message
> >> that tells me there are no shares available. I can only get the list

when
> >> have created a manual drive mapping first, and entered a user name and
> >> password, which seems a bit back-to-front.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I am wandering away from the point. I would like to be able to
> >> run
> >> something that will analyse my network configuration and make
> >> recommendations about changes I should make that will improve
> >> performance,
> >> visibility and security. Does such a beast exist?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Charles

Dave

"Charles Law" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
> This is a follow on from another post, in which I am trying to find the
> cause of a wireless network issue.
> What tools would people recommend for diagnosing and configuring networks in
> general, and wireless networks specifically? ...

> Anyway, I am wandering away from the point. I would like to be able to run
> something that will analyse my network configuration and make
> recommendations about changes I should make that will improve performance,
> visibility and security. Does such a beast exist?

Take a look on tool called netcrunch from AdRem Software. It's
networkk monitoring, diagnosing and reporting soft. It has quite
developed repoting features that help you analyze your network
performance.

regards,
dave

Charles Law