Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Checking if socket is still open?

Checking if socket is still open?

Markus Pitha

Hello,
I want to try to program a little server.
I already managed it to send a login message to the connected user, but
I wonder how it works to get information about the connection itself?
With this information, I want to close sockets, which are not in use
anymore (because of quitting by the client).
What's the usual way of programming things like that? I mean, which
return value of which command is usually used for things like that?

I'm using C with Linux.

Keith Thompson

Markus Pitha <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I want to try to program a little server.
> I already managed it to send a login message to the connected user, but
> I wonder how it works to get information about the connection itself?
> With this information, I want to close sockets, which are not in use
> anymore (because of quitting by the client).
> What's the usual way of programming things like that? I mean, which
> return value of which command is usually used for things like that?
>
> I'm using C with Linux.

Standard C has no sockets. Try comp.unix.programmer.

Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 02 May 2005 17:05:20 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Markus Pitha
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>I want to try to program a little server.
>I already managed it to send a login message to the connected user, but
>I wonder how it works to get information about the connection itself?

this isnt a C question, but rather a question about how to use
sockets. Try comp.unix.programmer, as this is much more ontopic there.

--
Mark McIntyre