Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Yet another book recommendation, but for someone who can program and yet does not the terminology well

Yet another book recommendation, but for someone who can program and yet does not the terminology well

Berehem

I would like some recommendations about what C books would suit me
best. I have read the other topics about books, but I thought my case
was unique enough to warrant book recommendations again. Please excuse
the long post. Thanks.

My Present Knowledge:
=====================

I have learnt C about 7 years ago from random
none_to_distinguished_books/ online_tutorials etc. and have been using
it on and off. I also know several other programming languages, and
stuff one would learn in programming language courses. I have good
programming skills as in specifying a real world problem in clear
terms, identifying the algorithms and datastructures and writing code
in a language to fulfill that requirement. I also have Bachelors in CS.

However, I have not read any of the books discussed in these forms
including K&R

What I seek to acquire:
======================

1. I think my learning in C is too informal, i.e. I could write a
program, but I do not the proper terminology to say discuss a problem
with a collegue, and dont know the formal names like deferenece
operator, pre and post increment operators.. the derefenece operator
has always been to me "the value at the address contained in".. so on.
I want to remedy this.

2. I would like to know stuff like a[i] = i++; is illegal, an be able
to read language specifications and understand them, know subtle
details.. the ins and outs of C

Properties I seek in the potential books:

1. I prefer books that are terse. Economy of words, but points made
eloquently.

2. More referce-ish books(*complete*), and discuss both the ANSI
versions.

3. No mistakes, atleast very few (with an updated errata).

4. I absoluetly dont need book with digressions about "how to program",
just the "subtleties of C".

Book Recommedations Gathered from other topics:

**Are any of these useful for me?**

K&R2
Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming"
"Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden
"C Unleashed", by Heathfield, Kirby et al.
The GNU C Library Reference Manual (2 volumes)
Harbison & Steele
Koenig's book
Steve Summit's book version of the comp.lang.c FAQ.
Programming - Deep C secrets by Peter van der Linden

Russell Shaw

Berehem wrote:
> I would like some recommendations about what C books would suit me
> best....

> 4. I absoluetly dont need book with digressions about "how to program",
> just the "subtleties of C".
>
> Book Recommedations Gathered from other topics:
>
> **Are any of these useful for me?**
>
> K&R2
> Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming"
> "Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden
> "C Unleashed", by Heathfield, Kirby et al.
> The GNU C Library Reference Manual (2 volumes)
> Harbison & Steele
> Koenig's book
> Steve Summit's book version of the comp.lang.c FAQ.
> Programming - Deep C secrets by Peter van der Linden

I found this one ok: "Mastering C" by Anthony Rudd.

Richard Bos

"Berehem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Book Recommedations Gathered from other topics:
>
> **Are any of these useful for me?**
>
> K&R2

Always.

> "Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden

This is a good read, but with a few pitfalls. A lot of it is about Unix,
not about ISO C.

> "C Unleashed", by Heathfield, Kirby et al.

Is a combination cookbook/semi-advanced explanation, not a reference
work. Certainly worth a look, but may not be what you're looking for.

> Programming - Deep C secrets by Peter van der Linden

This is, AFAIAA, the same book as the one above.

I'd also recommend:
<http://wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470845732.html>
This is the ISO C Standard, 1999 version, in book form, for a very
reasonable price.

Richard

pete

Berehem wrote:

> However, I have not read any of the books discussed in these forms
> including K&R

> Properties I seek in the potential books:
>
> 1. I prefer books that are terse. Economy of words, but points made
> eloquently.

K&R2 is the tersest.

> 2. More referce-ish books(*complete*), and discuss both the ANSI
> versions.

K&R2 is a reference book.
It's the one of mine that is the most page worn.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html

> 4. I absoluetly dont need book with
> digressions about "how to program", just the "subtleties of C".''

If you really want "subtleties of C", just stick around here.

--
pete

Lawrence Kirby

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:59:56 +0000, pete wrote:

> Berehem wrote:
>
>> However, I have not read any of the books discussed in these forms
>> including K&R

>> Properties I seek in the potential books:
>>
>> 1. I prefer books that are terse. Economy of words, but points made
>> eloquently.

> K&R2 is the tersest.
>
>> 2. More referce-ish books(*complete*), and discuss both the ANSI
>> versions.

> K&R2 is a reference book.

It has a reference section but it is mostly a tutorial. Of course you can
refer to appropriate parts of the tutorial to find put information you
need but that doesn't make it a reference as such.

Lawrence