Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > HELP!!! I am a TOTAL BEGINNER!

HELP!!! I am a TOTAL BEGINNER!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

I want to learn C++ and Visual Studio .NET (C# and ASP.NET). I know what programming is, I once did some programmers in DOS Basic and COBOL, but I am totally lost on where to begin. I read "Beginner's Programming" by Greg Perry. I go to the bookstore and feel like an IDIOT...where do I begin - what book do I read - the Microsoft (thousands of dollars - three-five day instructed led classes are over my head and my budget. Where so I start

I want to learn programming, I want to be MCSD certified in the end, not for money reasons but for knowledge. Please please all gurus willing to help - lead me out of the path of confusion and show me the path to enlightment!

Hermit Dave

start with a book on .net programming or to start with just get yourself a
beginners c# book... once you are fairly comfortable with c# language.. move
to the next level by learning asp.net or windows programming.
I have in past used wrox press books (well only a few times) but the books
were excellent.. specially the one for beginners... they do have a lot of
code samples.. to put it harshly they do spoon feed you the whole time..
(but i guess as a beginner you do need that..)

take it easy... programming is a piece of cake... give it some time... keep
your goal to learn programming and not to become mcsd... (say when you start
feeling lousy after studying asp.net for a few months and need some extra
motivation.. give the exam...) trust me you will enjoy it.. plus once you
get to knowing a few things... start making some application that will give
you some good hands on..

hope this helps... go down to amazon.. and look up the books.. read the
reviews...

--
Regards,
HD
"John Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to learn C++ and Visual Studio .NET (C# and ASP.NET). I know what
>programming is, I once did some programmers in DOS Basic and COBOL, but I
>am totally lost on where to begin. I read "Beginner's Programming" by Greg
>Perry. I go to the bookstore and feel like an IDIOT...where do I begin -
>what book do I read - the Microsoft (thousands of dollars - three-five day
>instructed led classes are over my head and my budget. Where so I start?
>
> I want to learn programming, I want to be MCSD certified in the end, not
> for money reasons but for knowledge. Please please all gurus willing to
> help - lead me out of the path of confusion and show me the path to
> enlightment!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

Thank you - I have printed your reply and will go to store later today and buy.

Question - I see you said c# Sharp - what about C++? What is the difference?

Spoon-feeding - I am still looking for my ba-ba!

Thanks again for the help.

Ever-grateful!
John Hayes

Hermit Dave

well people would differ in their opinion... my programming life started
with C and i eventually moved to C++... mainly doing win32 programming and
COM programming.
I have used it for so long that i always associate it with old ways...
with .NET... C++ has to behave and for me it would have meant forgetting
some ways and learning some new ways... would have complicated my life...
so i settled for C#

spoon feeding in the sense that they give you complete examples... its nice
when its somethings new ... but after a while... you dont need it any
more...

and you are welcome.. .glad i could help...

--
Regards,
HD
Once a Geek.... Always a Geek
"John Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you - I have printed your reply and will go to store later today and
> buy.
>
> Question - I see you said c# Sharp - what about C++? What is the
> difference?
>
> Spoon-feeding - I am still looking for my ba-ba!
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> Ever-grateful!
> John Hayes

Nweg

Don't fret!!

I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago. Dave
gave you some good info to work with. I chose to go with
VB.NET because I didn't have any OOP experience and it
seemed to be a bit easier to learn. Now that I
understand it I am going to move to C#. From what I have
heard the migration shouldnt be that bad. ASP.NET isn't
that bad once you get a language down. I picked it up
pretty fast. Do what Dave was saying and you should be
fine. Also, read message boards as they can help you get
the lingo down. Always remeber that Microsoft has a
section called MSDN that you can search through to get
help with coding. It is invaluable.

Jump in and get coding!! It's the best way to learn!

Nick Wegner

You simply don't know what you are talking about. This is a newsgroup for
certified professionals to exchange ideas.

"John Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to learn C++ and Visual Studio .NET (C# and ASP.NET). I know what

programming is, I once did some programmers in DOS Basic and COBOL, but I am
totally lost on where to begin. I read "Beginner's Programming" by Greg
Perry. I go to the bookstore and feel like an IDIOT...where do I begin -
what book do I read - the Microsoft (thousands of dollars - three-five day
instructed led classes are over my head and my budget. Where so I start?

> I want to learn programming, I want to be MCSD certified in the end, not

for money reasons but for knowledge. Please please all gurus willing to
help - lead me out of the path of confusion and show me the path to
enlightment!

Alistair

Yeah, right...

I think you should rephrase:

"...This is a newsgroup that should be for certified
professionals to exchange ideas..."

What this appears to have devolved into is a newsgroup for
certified professionals to flame each other and vent their
frustration at the shortcomings of the certification
process...and, of course, for braindumpers to flog their
wares!

Occasionally you will find a post where certified
professionals exchange ideas (see the one below about
Stacie posting photos of herself - a particularly rousing
exchange of ideas!), but for the most part you are more
likely to find a neophyte asking a) how many questions on
this or that exam and how much time to complete it, or b)
how do I find the microsoft/traincert website or c) I
don't speak English but would like to earn certificated
status. Please direct me to nearest place where I might
give exams all next week. (Pidgeon English added for
authenticity)

Hermit Dave

bang on target!!! mate... yeah vent the frustration and provide links to ms
train cert site...

--
Regards,
HD
"Alistair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2aff01c3e12b$b63b5190$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, right...
>
> I think you should rephrase:
>
> "...This is a newsgroup that should be for certified
> professionals to exchange ideas..."
>
> What this appears to have devolved into is a newsgroup for
> certified professionals to flame each other and vent their
> frustration at the shortcomings of the certification
> process...and, of course, for braindumpers to flog their
> wares!
>
> Occasionally you will find a post where certified
> professionals exchange ideas (see the one below about
> Stacie posting photos of herself - a particularly rousing
> exchange of ideas!), but for the most part you are more
> likely to find a neophyte asking a) how many questions on
> this or that exam and how much time to complete it, or b)
> how do I find the microsoft/traincert website or c) I
> don't speak English but would like to earn certificated
> status. Please direct me to nearest place where I might
> give exams all next week. (Pidgeon English added for
> authenticity)

JaR

LOL! So true.

"Alistair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2aff01c3e12b$b63b5190$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, right...
>
> I think you should rephrase:
>
> "...This is a newsgroup that should be for certified
> professionals to exchange ideas..."
>
> What this appears to have devolved into is a newsgroup for
> certified professionals to flame each other and vent their
> frustration at the shortcomings of the certification
> process...and, of course, for braindumpers to flog their
> wares!
>
> Occasionally you will find a post where certified
> professionals exchange ideas (see the one below about
> Stacie posting photos of herself - a particularly rousing
> exchange of ideas!), but for the most part you are more
> likely to find a neophyte asking a) how many questions on
> this or that exam and how much time to complete it, or b)
> how do I find the microsoft/traincert website or c) I
> don't speak English but would like to earn certificated
> status. Please direct me to nearest place where I might
> give exams all next week. (Pidgeon English added for
> authenticity)

>Stacie posting photos of herself - a particularly rousing
>exchange of ideas!),

... and I'm still waiting for the photo.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3